Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how to do this but we're not getting a new car anytime soon, and number 3 is due in December. We have a '03 honda crv--my kids are 5, 2.5 and then baby...

The 5 yo is in a booster with the shoulder strap (regular car one) and the 2.5 year old is in a britax round-a-bout...

I'm hoping to be able to fit a britax marathon in the mix for the 2.5 year old (he is big and already almost 30lbs...) and then have the round-about for the little bean rear facing and then somehow cram the big kid in the booster...

the Marathon is at my folks house and I won't have a chance to try this out until September--but does anyone else have any experience with 3 in a CRV? what brands worked for you? I really like Britax because they are so easy to install, but I guess at this point I'll go with what works!

Thanks!
:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I have an '05 CR-V. I believe the backseat dimensions have changed so I am probably no help at all but I have gotten two carseats and an adult in the back using the driver's side and middle seats for a Britax Roundabout facing forward and some sort of Graco convertable also facing forward. It appeared that a third seat or booster would have fit.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Yooper! I think the '05 is slightly bigger-but I can't imagine it being THAT much bigger... hopefully!

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I bet you could, it just will be tight.
I had a little Saab and could fit dd's Marathon, a graco convertible, and a Graco tall back booster when I was watching other dc. It was very, very tight, it was a challenge to buckle to booster because it would ONLY fit in the middle. I'd head to Babies R Us, or one of the places that let you try the carseats in your car before buying and test out the Marathon in different configs with the other seats so you'll know exactly how it could work. My hunch would that the booster would fit nicely in the middle between the two Britax's because they, well at least the Marathon, are so high that it can make putting another Britax next to it a challenge in a tight place. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Ask at car-seat.org Another option is to get something like the Sunshine Kids Radian for your middle child, as it's very narrow and will help fit things better. Also, putting the baby rfing in the middle may help more as well.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
My husband was just at the Honda dealership checking out the CRVs, Pilots, and Odysseys. The newer models of CRV are slightly bigger (my mother has an older model and it's definitely narrower). We may end up getting a used Odyssey for $6000 though, since we'd really like to wait and get a new car when we can afford a hybrid. Right now we have a Honda Civic, and there's no way to fit 3 carseats in that!! I can sympathize! The necessity to get a bigger car for that third baby is unnerving; suddenly it's so expensive to be "green" with a third child!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi carmel23

Are we twins?!? I have a '04 CRV and I just had my DS 5 weeks ago, my DDs are 5 (6 in Sept) and 3 (in May) so sounds like we have identical ages if your babe is due in December!

I also have my eldest in a booster with shoulder strap and #2 in a Britax RoundAbout
Our new baby was 10lb 12oz and 23 inches long at birth and was 12lb at two and a half weeks. So this week we bought a new infant carseat by Graco that is for bigger babies (up to 30lb) and is wider and longer than normal. So he is on one side, the Britax is on the other and the booster in the middle. My thought would be if I can get my guys in you should be able to get two Britax seats either side and your eldest in the middle. If you need to change anything to gain a few cms I would go for finding a simpler booster. It can be a fiddle getting the seat belt done up across the booster because its close to the Britax but it's no big deal. I find it best to have my eldest in the middle because she can help buckle up, so I'm not doing too much stretching.

My DH wanted to use a third child as an excuse to get a new car but I didn't want to change. I love my CRV as it has great visibility, is easy to park anywhere and is not a big SUV which I wouldn't want. It's also great on gas.

Congratulations! I wish you health and happiness thru your pregnancy. It's exciting to know you'll have
: So far it's going great for us and we're all very happy (most of the time!)

Dutch

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by veganf
My husband was just at the Honda dealership checking out the CRVs, Pilots, and Odysseys. The newer models of CRV are slightly bigger (my mother has an older model and it's definitely narrower). We may end up getting a used Odyssey for $6000 though, since we'd really like to wait and get a new car when we can afford a hybrid. Right now we have a Honda Civic, and there's no way to fit 3 carseats in that!! I can sympathize! The necessity to get a bigger car for that third baby is unnerving; suddenly it's so expensive to be "green" with a third child!
I saw a website once which was exactly which 3 car seats to buy to get them in a Honda Civic. Google it. I swear. Buying 3 new car seats is cheaper than buying a new car.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
We have a CRV and a Pilot. 3 in a CRV is possible, but kinda hard. The shoulder straps are tough to get done.
It's much easier with a pilot- and even has a thrid row, but guzzles gas.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I have fit 2 booster seat and an infant seat back there before. It's hard but it's possible! It's better to avoid boosters that use the regular seat belt to secure the child and stick with the 5 pt harness boosters. The biggest challenge is to get the seat belts across and buckled because you can't reach them between the outside seats and the middle carseat.

If you are using the regular seat belt boosters, put the child in loosely, buckle the seatbelt, then push the child's booster in more towards the middle of the seat and tighten the belt by hand. To unbuckle, loosen the seatbelt, slide the child's booster out to get access to the buckle, and release.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
I love love love love love our new radian carseat from Sunshine Kids. Did I say I love it?

We just moved dd1 up from a roundabout. We had 2 britaxes in the back of the accord and it was a close squeeze for an adult to fit back there (even one with slim hips). The radian is just as comfortable for my dd1 (so she claims) and the straps work nicely. I think I might consider selling both britax and getting a second radian for my dd2 (it can be rear facing as well).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts