Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents are very kind, fun grandparents who unfortunately happen to be very unreliable. Coming late to events, leaving without saying goodbye, not calling or showing up. Ive come to terms with it as best I can in my own relationship, but now my children are starting to notice, and get confused by it. It hurts me to see my children disappointed because they love their grandparents.

Any tips on how to handle this? I'm more interested in how to discuss it with my kids. I've stated my expectations with my parents, but as they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I don't expect those conversations will yield much change. I would like my kids, though, to enjoy their time with heir grandparents if there is a way to keep things positive.

Feeling pretty frustrated.

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
Have they always been this way? When you were growing up did they have this same trait?

I wondered how you felt about it..if you were used to and just were now seeing it through the eyes of a child, being 'mama bear' for your little ones? Does it bother you or only because you worry it will bother your children?

My gut says that there is not much you can do about it, except to teach your children that there are many types and that this is how they just 'are.'

·
Registered
169 Posts
My parents are exactly the same way! I find it very annoying and disrespectful because I never feel like we have their full attention.

My kid's are six and four, so I encourage them to voice their opinion to my parents. Not sure if it helps or not, but at least they can vocalize their feelings.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sadly many of our family members are like this. It used to really hurt our son and us but we've finally come to terms that this is just who they are. My son knows what to expect know and while it bothers him, he knows that that is just how they are. We don't tell him if they're planning on coming over just in case they cancel plans also. We don't want him to be even more disappointed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts