Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the Sears Family Nutrition book, and I'm convinced that flax would be a good thing to add to my family's diet. The seeds seem to be a lot more affordable than the oil. Does anybody know why flax seeds need to be ground? If we eat them whole, are they digested? They're just so small, it seems as though they could just be sprinkled on things as they are (without grounding).<br><br>
Thanks!<br><br>
Lisa

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
The outer shell is so tough, they will just go in one end and out the other if you don't grind them. So you really do have to grind them to get the benefits. You can get an inexpensive coffee grinder and just grind what you need when you need it - it doesn't take long. Keep the flax seeds in the freezer to keep them fresh longer.<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick help, Jane! I'll pick up a coffee grinder today.<br><br>
Is there any way to tell when the seeds aren't fresh any more? I've had some sitting in my cabinet for a couple of weeks now....

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
It is good to keep the seeds refrigerated or frozen if you don't use them up very fast but you don't have to worry if they haven't been refrigerated for a couple of weeks. It's after flax is ground that you have the danger of them going rancid. They will be fine for at least 3 months probably up to 6 unrefrigerated.<br><br>
We do the coffee grinder thing to. Every morning, I put nuts and seeds and grind them up and we add them to hot or cold cereal, sprinkle over yogurt, add to smoothies, etc. You can even replace some of the flour in your baked goods with ground flax.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
What if I were to grind a large amount of seeds and then store them in my freezer? Would that work? I know I would be more likely to use them that way. With homeschooling three little ones and caring for my mother I know that grinding up seeds every time I want to use them just won't happen. If I had a jar full ready to go in my freezer I would use them - but would they be any good? Once a week I could do - every day wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
You could do that - or I know some stores sell flax meal already ground. You will have some nutrient loss and would probably want to use them up within about a month so they don't go rancid.<br><br>
I found that when I keep the coffee grinder out on my counter, it just takes a second to drop a handful of seeds in and grind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts