Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
x-post

Hi all!

A friend of mine with a 6 week old has a flea problem. Apparently with the winter coming and her cats coming in from outside she has fleas. Anyone know how to safely get rid of these little creatures?

My 11 week ds and I are planning a week long visit to her next week and she's not sure we should come now.

Thanks!

Heather

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
since they are outdoor cats, I don't know how easy this will be but a flea bath will get rid of the fleas on the animals, and yes you have to get your house extermintated as well otherwise the fleas will just jump back on the animals. It might take a few baths depending on how infested they are. I had to give my poor kitten about 10 baths when he came home from the shelter. I thought he was a tortise shell, but he was actually a tabby just covered in fleas.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Long ago before kids, I had a horrible flea problem with my cats. I tried sprays, foggers, baths, collars, every chemical under the sun. In the end, the only thing that worked was a combination of Advantage on the cats and borax (laundry type) sprinkled liberally over the carpets and beat in with a broom. The Advantage kills the living fleas and flea larvae on the cat, and the borax dessicates flea eggs and prevents them from hatching. Vacuum thoroughly before putting down the borax, then give the borax a couple weeks undisturbed (no vacuuming) to do its thing and break the flea life cycle. After that vacuum frequently and keep giving the cats Advantage for a few months. Your friend will need to wash all bedding where the cat sleeps as well, and if she has linoleum/tile floors, mop with bleach and water.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Diatomaceous Earth is good too, and is less toxic. You can put about a teaspoon in their food daily and rub it on them lightly. You can also dust the carpets and furniture too and then vacuum in a couple of days. It works with the flea cycle to help eliminate them. You can get DE from a variety of sources....get human grade (not the swimming pool stuff).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.