Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our cat for 7 years and never had fleas. She's an indoor cat, but 2 weeks ago we discovered a big patch on her neck all raw and furless. And the kiddos and dh are covered with fleas. I promptly went and got advantage, applied it and she stopped scratching. But then we went on a 1 week vacation and just returned. A few of the rooms in the house were closed. And we found quite fleas jumping onto us!!! I vacuumed upon returning home. So what should I do now? Should I reapply the advantage? Or wait till the month is up? And what can I do in the mean time to prevent the kiddos from more flea bites? Please help!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Man, we're going through this bad right now. The advantage took care of our cats, their fleas are gone. But our house has been super infested and nothing we've tried has worked. I vacuum twice a day, I tried covering my floors in salt, I tried spraying the poison stuff around the edges of the rooms (where we never go), etc. Steam cleaning the carpets worked for a few days, but then they came right back. So now we're going to try using Diatomaceous Earth inside on the carpets. I know for a fact that it kills fleas, I just hadn't wanted it on my floors. I also love the products from this company

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...landscape3.htm

and they have a flea spray. But I have no way of buying their products where I live. Good luck

·
Registered
576 Posts
Advantage will kill adult fleas on your pets, but no product currently on the market can kill fleas when they are in their cocoon state. They are pretty much invincible at that stage.
What this means for you is that a product like Advantage will work immediately, however you will inevitably see a new wave of adults approx 3-4 wks later. These fleas are the ones that were eggs, larvae or cocoons previously.
The good news is that if you keep your pets treated with Advantage, it will eventually take care of the problem. Fleas much prefer your pets to you, they only bite people if they can't find the pet.
I would recommend using diatamaceous earth as the previous poster mentioned, or using a product called Revolution which I'm not sure is sold in the states. That product kills the adults, larvae and eggs. Again, it will have no effect on the cocoons. It is applied topically just like Advantage.
Do not re-treat your pet until the month is up. I really don't feel that it would help and it will be a waste of money IMO.
I worked at vet clinics for about 4 years and I lived in an area where fleas were everywhere. Feel free to pm me if you think I can help! (I'm not selling anything, I promise! I just have lots of info on this
)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both.. Okay, so where do I get diatomaceous earth? And how much of the stuff do I need? I only have 1 carpeted room about 300 sq foot. I have bamboo flooring in the other areas. Should I put the diatomaceous earth on the carpet and the hardwood? Or just the carpeted areas? Thank you, thank you... Another flea just hopped onto me!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
It should be in the bug killing section of any hardware store or gardening store. I understand that you aren't supposed to inhale it even though it's really safe? So I'd look into that a bit more before dumping it in your house (I need to do the same research). But it does work amazingly, and it even kills ants if you have any of those around.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I'm very leery of using DE where humans can breathe it. It is NOT friendly stuff, which is why it kills bugs. It's a very fine dust made up of the skeletons of single-celled organisms called diatoms. The skeletons are razor-sharp, so when the dust gets on bugs it can cut and scar them (at least that's the theory). But it'll also cut the inside of your lungs. Non-medical-grade DE, the kind that is sold as pool filtrate, can give you silicosis (cancer of the lungs), and I don't know whether the bug-killing kind is medical grade or not.

I've always found that the fleas are worst when they are on their way out. Like the PP said, the Advantage WILL keep killing them. Your best bet is to let the cats back in those rooms and keep doing what you're doing in terms of vacuuming and cleaning.

I don't like Revolution, by the way, though not because it doesn't work. It's just a really major medication--it's very close in formulation to ivermectin pour-on, for those familiar with cattle medication, and is a broad-spectrum wormer/insecticide that is absorbed through the skin and from there to the bloodstream. I don't like having ANYTHING that absorbs through the skin anywhere near my kids (and I'm not crazy about it on the dogs either), so I much prefer Advantage or Frontline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.