Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a bunting for a kid 12-18 months size? I'm curious about patterns. I kind of like the Burda pattern, but wondering if anyone has any experience (or even a used pattern to sell?)<br><br>
thanks

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I made one that size last winter...I used the Kwik Sew pattern, size XL, and it was great. I modified it to add a lining, which made it much more complicated..and it still wasn't that hard. Sorry, I don't remember the number, but I'm sure you can find it in the catalog.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what did you use for the lining? curious because i made one for dd last winter (0 yrs old) and lined it with fleece.<br><br>
How did you do it -- I just sewed the flannel together with the fleece and treated it like it was one piece (did that make sense?).<br><br><br>
brainstorming....what about a piece of micro fleece inside as the liner? I live in northern Minn and we are hoping i can make something suitably warm for dd to be outside playing with us (skiing, snowshoeing, etc).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I just lined it with a woven cotton. I think a microfleece lining would work great for extra warmth, or a nice cotton knit. It's not that cold here, so we didn't need an extra layer for warmth!<br><br>
This pattern is originally written to be bound around the edges, so I adapted it to turn-and-topstitch, if that makes any sense.<br><br>
The one thing I would do differently is spend the money for the Malden Mills fleece--you could use 300 wt if you wanted something really warm--the cheaper fleece just doesn't hold up as well for washing. And if I remember right, the pattern only called for a yard or so of fabric. (There are lots of co-ops for these fabrics b/c of their use in making diapers, you might even be able to get some through and ISO on the Trading Post).<br><br>
I would love to make a similar "suit" for my dd this winter, but I haven't seen any patterns that run into toddler sizes--the Kwik-Sew is an infant pattern, and she could still wear the XL last winter--have you?<br><br>
Happy sewing,<br>
Barbara

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i ahvent' seen any toddlers patterns, but then again I haven't looked. Could you make the XL pattern fit her -- ie. trace it onto newspaper, adding inches in length and girth?<br><br>
I'm guessing there aren't too many pieces, so it might be possible. That said, I haven't seen the pattern pieces so i don't know if it would be easy or hard.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I was thinking about just lengthening the pattern...she very slender, so fortunately I probably wouldn't have to alter the girth..if anything, I find that "baby" patterns are often too wide for her, as compared to "toddler" patterns (I made her a pair of Burda capri pants this spring, and I used the size 86 length and the newborn size waist--and it fit her perfectly!)<br><br>
Now if I can only find that pattern......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts