Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get these boys outside more this winter but I've always worried that they will be too cold. In the past I've always bought the Lands End Squall Coats - wind/water resistant outer with thick fleece lining. Now I am wondering if it might be better to go with a down coat, but then I worry that they might overheat. For moms in colder climes, which do you prefer and why? I'm in Ohio so it is not too cold, but it can get down there a bit.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Last year we had fleece lined coats but I'm not sure they were as heavy as the Lands End jacket. One was from LL Bean and one was a hand me down. This year we will be getting them rain jackets from LL Bean as a wind/water layer and using their hooded zip up fleece jackets from last winter. For outside play we'll layer the fleece over a wool sweater and put the rain jacket over it if necessary. Most of our thinking comes from a.) the practicality of being able to adjust layers and b.) the fleece lined jackets just didn't fit well under the car seat straps. What about a down vest if you're really concerned about cold? Get a day-to-day jacket and put the vest under it for colder excursions?<br><br>
We're outside Chicago, on the shore of Lake Michigan. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I lived in Massachusetts, wore fleece sweaters under my coat and was cold. Then I lived in Michigan, got a down coat and was warm. Never overheated, but I "run cold". If they "run hot" then stick with fleece.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The fleece is going to be more versatile for you. Like PP mentioned, you can layer however you need with the fleece coats.<br><br>
Also, the poof of a down coat is a big no-no in the car seat. Thin layers of fleece do not usually interfere with getting the harness nice and snug so it will hold the child in place in the event of a crash.<br><br>
I say go with the fleece. That's what I plan to do, and I live in Minnesota - brrr!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think of wool, which is amazing since all of my diaper covers are wool and I work with it daily. Big duh to me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts