Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
There might be detergent buildup. When you did the 6 or 7 washes, did you use detergent as you washed them?

If so, try stripping them. Wash them on hot with *no* detergent and check to see if there are suds in the water as the washer agitates. If there are suds, continue to wash on hot with no detergent until you don't see any more suds. You can add a quarter cup of vinegar too, if you have it handy.

Also, did you wash any new hemp products with your other diapers? The natural oils in the hemp can transfer to the fleece if they're washed together at first.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have some pockets with repelling fleece too, and I have washed them a TON of times in hot water with no detergent (no bubbles). I have also tried stripping with Dawn and Simple Green, then washing and washing on hot with no detergent. I finally threw them in the top shelf of my dishwasher and ran them through 3-4 times (with only minimal suds in the first cycle, but we have hard water) and they are still repelling, but not nearly as bad. Before they were completely waterproof, but now only some of the water runs off. I'm hoping a few more dishwasher cycles will help (we keep having to use it for the dang dishes!).

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the DW stripping too and it seemed to help, but they are still repelling some. I think I am going to try putting some Dawn on a toothbrush and scrubbing the fleece really well and then rinse in hot water to see if that does anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.