Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep being given fleece, but have no idea how to tell which weight it is. I just tried the water trick on two of them, and I'm a bit confused.<br><br>
I used quite a bit of water, maybe 1.5 ounces, not just drops. On the first sample of fabric, is pooled, and then after about 5 seconds I could see a darker spot, and then it all dropped through at once. This means it's good for the inside right? As a wicking layer.<br><br>
The second one i did the same thing, but it stayed on top, and made no move of soaking through. Then I folded it over, and pushed on it a bit, putting pressure on the water. Then it all soaked though. Same thing then? It really looked like it was repellent, so I don't know if I pushed it too far, or if it's again, an inside quality fleece.<br><br>
Any direction would be great. These were both pretty thick, I swore they would be repellent.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I'm no expert, but that sounds like polar fleece to me. If it doesn't soak in right away it will probably come out the leg hole of the diaper yk?<br><br>
If you wanted to try it I would only make one diaper with it and see how it works.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, sorry I just reread and realized I didn't really word myself very well. I'm --hoping-- to find fleece to use on the outer-- as the waterproof layer, instead of PUL. And so obviously, if it doesn't keep the water in, that's a bad thing.<br><br>
But, if the fleece I have is not waterproof quality, then I guess I'll just use it as an inside layer. I figure it's got to be one or the other, right?<br><br>
And as for trying it... lol... I don't have a tester for it. DH and I will be ttc'ing in the next few months, and so I'm trying to repair a stash of diapers I was given, but in the meantime... I have no one to try them on! haha<br><br>
Thanks for the response though. I'm so anxious/excited to make/fix my diapers, but can't seem to find much help.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Sorry to thread-crash, but i'm wanting to make fleece liners for my pre-folds, and was coming to ask what weight fleece to use for that...? I'm going to a fabric shop so i can't really wet the fabrics! I am imagining thin and soft is what i'm going for, rather than polar fleece, is that right?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
For the outer layer, I'd go with the 2nd one you tested. I would not use the first one inside though. The delay you experienced can cause serious leakage issues.<br><br>
GoBecGo - you're not looking for a weight per se. You're looking for micro-fleece for inners. Polar fleece is really only (usually) suitable for outers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I tested my outer/cover material fleece by putting a prefold on top of it then pouring the water on it to see how much it would hold and not soak thru the fleece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts