Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a career, then had kids, now have stayed at home and worked part-time teaching music over the years. DH is finishing grad school next semester and we are "deciding" what and where to live next. That said, we completely shipwrecked our finances getting thru grad school and now is the time for me to get a real job-I have been applying and interviewing without much response for the last couple of months though

This one seems to have landed my way (was in final interviews, and hoping to hear today) and so for a WOHM situation, does this seem like a good offer to take?

The salary is nothing to shout at (~35K) but I would be working for a university for salary and benefits, but in a rural area on a federal grant that has been around awhile and looks secure. Work from a home office (land line, cell phone, internet, laptop, copier, printer etc provided) a few days a week and then in the field a few days a week. I make my own schedule during the week (so this means I could have heavy worktime while kids in school and then adjust accordingly to pickups, extra -curriculurs?). The women on my team seem GREAT! All mothers (of kids of various ages, some are older women, some are younger) as well with similar aims/goals for both their families and their work.

Feels like a good thing...what are the pitfalls I will have to be aware of?
TIA!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Sounds great! Congratulations

Only thing I would be wary of is letting working from home take over your life...as long as both parties are clear on the number of hours required to do the job you should be OK
Seems like a good sign that there are other mamas working there.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Honestly, I would grab it while you can! Unis everywhere (esp in WA from what I hear) are having crazy hiring freezes so if its something that seems secure (the grant money won't dry up), I would definitely think it was a bird in the hand! Does your husband already have a job lined up? He may have a hard time if things continue the way they are now ...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback...I am hoping to know something today...I know they have called my references and Ack I just wish they would decide already...the waiting is hard!!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sounds great! As a pp said, yeah as long as the funding for the position looks secure. Does your DH have any possible opportunities lined up?
I'm in your area and 35K plus benefits is not that easy to come by, obviously depending on your field and experience. I'm hoping to hold on to my job, but there is already talk of whether budget cuts will include layoffs.

I hope they call you soon!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so they just called with an offer - HOORAY!!!
Except salary is base with no wiggle room (since is a federal grant-she said with Obama in office, they may see more grant money, but can't gaurantee)
So salary is $28, 276....that sucks acutally!

Full university benefits and all the yada I said above.

Did I mention this is Early Head Start, so working with pregnant mamas and their little ones...neato. This is all in a rural part of our state, so a move for us, but one to a very beautiful area. And very good little public school for our boys.

At least I have the weekend to think about and calculate.
Eek!

TIA again!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
it sounds like such a neat job... too bad about the salary. what does your dh think? if you'd have to move, could he really find a job there? and what about the costs when you're in the field, do they reimburse your travel costs? that could add up if gas prices rise again.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DH thinks we should go for it..."mobilize" in his words
LOL!
Yes, federally reimbursed for mileage (58cents a mile)

I'm a leanin' that way.................even though salary sucks!
DH said we may still qualify for food stamps with that wage.
(For family of four-he is still in school till May)

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
It sounds good to me. If there are more downsides, you can always quit. You'll make a lot of new contacts in the job, so you never know where a new gig might come from. Besides, it's always easier to find a job when you have a job.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I woke up today with this ARG feeling...
in 1999-that is ten years ago, I was at a job making 36K.
The wage is so ridiculously low, but can that come as an advantage?=more flexibility?
As a WOHM is that flexibility going to be the most valuable part of it?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I did end up taking this job! And am feeling really good about starting.
We have many details to take care of quickly...like moving to a new town and kids starting at a new school within just a week or so.

I outweighed the low salary with the excellent benefits and the flexibility of working from home when I am not in the field.

Couple of questions now though:

1) how do I practically get childcare for the other hours I might need? My 5 year old will be in Kindergarten until noon five days a week. My 3 year old will be at the same school in preschool until noon but only three days a week. Since this is technically a 40 hour week job, do I need to account for childcare during that whole time? I am not planning on that, since the salary is so low, but I need to be available for some of those outside of school times. Find a SAHM to pay for additional childcare? Perhaps someone near their school?

2)Would it help to keep the same schedule weekly?

3) What are your other tricks of the trade so to speak?

·
Banned
77 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fireflies~for~me View Post
So, I did end up taking this job! And am feeling really good about starting.
We have many details to take care of quickly...like moving to a new town and kids starting at a new school within just a week or so.

I outweighed the low salary with the excellent benefits and the flexibility of working from home when I am not in the field.

Couple of questions now though:

1) how do I practically get childcare for the other hours I might need? My 5 year old will be in Kindergarten until noon five days a week. My 3 year old will be at the same school in preschool until noon but only three days a week. Since this is technically a 40 hour week job, do I need to account for childcare during that whole time? I am not planning on that, since the salary is so low, but I need to be available for some of those outside of school times. Find a SAHM to pay for additional childcare? Perhaps someone near their school?

2)Would it help to keep the same schedule weekly?

3) What are your other tricks of the trade so to speak?
Are one of your benefits free tuition at the Uni? If so maybe you can get ahead by taking courses for a better paying job down the road.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have two WAHM jobs for nonprofits dealing with moms and kids and I love it. I work for a breastfeeding coalition and a battered women's shelter.

Things to know- You don't have to have childcare for the times you are working from home if you allow yourself enough time to take breaks to care for them.

Don't, don't, don't let it take over your life. Set your boundaries and compromise only when absolutely necessary. Working from home means that you can't leave the office at 5. It's easy to find yourself working at midnight because your to do list is longer than your day.

I'd be glad to share more if you have questions.

You are right about the flexibility. It is priceless and absolutely compensates you for the cruddy pay. It's a great trade off.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Congratulations on the job. Even though the salary is lower than what you want- the flexibility is great! I imagine the benefits will be good as well. I find it very hard to work from home- mostly because I don't have a designated work space. So even though I can work at home I choose to go to the office every day. I had an opportunity to take a job with better pay and better benefits but I couldn't bring myself to give up the flexibility my current job offers. IMO, that is the most important benefit for when kids are little.

Congratulations again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.