Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, with my 2 year old I spent SO MUCH MONEY CDing. I turned semi-hyena and didn't like what that did to my bank account. I'm thinking with baby #2 we'll completely simplify and only use flats and bummis. So, are there any of you that only uses flats? About how many do you need for a newborn? I'm not even pregnant yet,
i just like being prepared. Also, can toddlers use flats? I have 2-3 that I used on my son when he was itty bitty but I tried putting one on him now (he's 2 years old and 30 lbs) it was impossible. Maybe i'm doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I use flannel flats - they have lasted me from newborn through to toilet training. My ds isn't big in the hips though, but on a toddler I'd just revert to the pad fold if needed (which is what we did for nights for ds until he night trained).

I used the origami fold and didn't use pins for the majority of the time. As a newborn until around 4mths, I had them folded into a pad that I made fit within the small BSWW and flared it out at the bum to contain poo and streamline the back rather than it being a big bulk right in the middle of her back.

HTH

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Flats are just a big square of flannel - approx 30 " x 30" at a guess (although mine are slightly rectangular).

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
i use birdseye...and mine are 27x27.

I use the jo fold.

they are too small for my toddler.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I have terry nappies which were expensive to purchase, but are square like flats and don't require the layers that a flat system does. Folding is FUN!!!

The benefits on flats are quit dry times, especially for line drying mamas and very economical for a dryer. They was well as there are no layers to trap odors into like in a CPF.

I suppose flannel flats would be very easy to make for oneself and flannel is more absorbant in 1 layer than birdseye in that same 1 layer.

I'd say go for it. I recycle diapers with my own children and have been using the same diapers for years now. A few are in need of repair, so every couple of years I spend a day or two repairing my cd. I think though that this child is in need of some new ones and I prefer the terry nappies to any CPF or flat I've tried.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maylea_moon View Post
Ok, so, with my 2 year old I spent SO MUCH MONEY CDing. I turned semi-hyena and didn't like what that did to my bank account. I'm thinking with baby #2 we'll completely simplify and only use flats and bummis. So, are there any of you that only uses flats? About how many do you need for a newborn? I'm not even pregnant yet,
i just like being prepared. Also, can toddlers use flats? I have 2-3 that I used on my son when he was itty bitty but I tried putting one on him now (he's 2 years old and 30 lbs) it was impossible. Maybe i'm doing something wrong?
I don't use flats only, but I am enjoying them.

I would think that 3 doz for a newborn would be a good number if you wanted to wash every other day. Yes, tots can use flats. A lot depends on the type of fold, the size of the flats, and the size of the tot. If you flair out the back AND the front of the diaper it can fit a pretty round child. Our grannys used flats and pin only and they had to work for tots. I think one thing that you may need to do is fold 2 flats together when the baby grows into a tot. They pee and poop less often, but when they go they have more pee, so you would need the absorbancy. Have you looked at the different folds here:

http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/Advice...nstructionID=2

PS I agree with you and breaking the bank account!! Dipes are to catch pee and poop. Sometimes we can just get too caught up in the diaper craze.
I can see convience in some of the mod diapers, but then it can get off into trying this fabric, that style, different closures, etc. I did the same thing. Now I mostly want to just keep my baby's bum clean and not worry with the rest of it.
And thin cotton cleans up easier than fancy fabrics and if one gets ruined I won't loose sleep over it.

To the other poster:

Flats can come in different fabrics: hemp, birdseye, flannel, gauze, ringspun jersey, and I'm sure a lot more. It is just a piece of flat fabric that needs to be folded to fit the baby. They are THE most versitle diaper in existance due to the fact that you fold it the way it fits your baby. No need of it being too tight, too small, too gappy, etc. You custom fit it to your child. They also work well as a light blankie or a cover durring nursing.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
We use terry nappies here, just squares of terry which I think are 60cm square. No problems with fit on my 2 year old and the snappi grips them wonderfully, they wash and dry so fast compared to anything else we have used. They last forever too, most of DDs were worn by at least 3 other children before her.

Personaly I like the motherease covers over them, the airflow in particular have more coverage at the sides which I find I need. We used the chinese fold for the first year or so then switched to the neat fold (both on the nappy lady site linked above)

I do have to say that they were VERY bulky on DD as a newborn, and we used some small prefolds until she was 6 months or so. That said she was only just 5lb.

I think we have about 36 and I like to was every other day. We could get away with quite a few less but we find so many other uses for them.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
I used flats for my dd - actually, I didnt know that there existed fancy cloth diapers, and I'm not even sure what 'pre-folds' are.
I just knew that's what cloth diapers are (that's what my mum used on my butt!) - a flat square of terry cotton, about 30"x30", folded in various different ways depending on size and sex of the baby, and covered with plastic pants.

we were in brazil when dd was born and stayed in latin america till she was 16 months, so that was all I knew.

money saving tips-
you can use ANY square of cotton material - cut up old TOWELS!!!! there are many pages on the web with directions how to fold them. you could use dish cloths or hand towels - I did when we ran low on diapers.

we started with 30 'flats' and 4 plastic covers (that we purchased for less than $1 each in brazil). in general, with washing every second day and immediate rinsing/soaking, this was plenty sufficient. if you have a laundry machine and a dryer (we didnt have either - hand washed the whole lot!) you might get away with less.

I recommend going to a thrift store and buying old towels and cutting them into rough squares. actually, thin slightly worn-out towels are better, as they are thinner - less bulk - a big fluffy bath towel is too thick to fold well.

they are also handy for spit-up cloths, makeshift changing mats, tied around the neck for a bib, towel after bath...
and because they UNFOLD, they DRY FAST!!!!

need any more reasons?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts