Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in another thread that I'm gonna start taking Floradix per my MW's recommendation since my iron level is borderline anemic and my energy level is really low.<br><br>
Each pill (and I'm supposed to take 3 a day) has -<br>
33% B1<br>
88% B2<br>
40% Niacinamide (B3)<br>
100% B6<br>
39% Iron<br><br>
My prenatal has -<br>
50% A<br>
200% C<br>
100% D<br>
100% E<br>
105% Thiamin (B1)<br>
85% Riboflavin (B2)<br>
100% Niacin (B3)<br>
105% B6<br>
100% Folic acid<br>
100% B12<br>
15% Calcium<br>
156% Iron<br>
167% Zinc<br><br>
I'm also taking an extra calcium supp which has 50% D and 50% calcium. (I know that iron can inhibit calcium absorption, and so I take them at different times.) Plus, I'm taking a algae-based omega-3 supplement and acidophilus.<br><br>
I feel like if I add 3 Floradix to that, I'm gonna OD on vitamins. I'd be at approximately 400% B6, 275% iron, 200% B1, 325% B2, and 220% B3. Is that too much for either me or baby? Should I take all 3 Floradix, 1 or 2, or none?<br><br>
I figure if no one knows, I'll bring both my prenatal and the Floradix in to my next MW appointment, but so far that's scheduled for Thursday and I haven't had any luck bumping it up. Well, I guess I could call. But first ... anyone know if it's bad to take a crapload of iron and B vitamins in late pregnancy? Will I pee out the excess, or could it somehow be bad?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think you will pee out the excess. STaggering the times you take them will also help your body absorb the max amount it needs.<br>
I take a regular prenatal, floridix, plus a b-complex and inostitol. I haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i read recently that excess iron in the colon (from supplements) has been possibly linked to cancer. i'm planning to limit my use to pregnancy only. i took Floradix for a while b/c i'm borderline anemic also but it didn't help my hematocrit so now i'm on stronger pills. don't know about B vitamins.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I hear you. I have exactly the same issue - slightly anemic and taking prenatals. I am afraid to OD with vitamins, so I didn't buy Floradix. I bought just plain Iron pills. Frankly, I don't even know if they work, cause I bought them after my blood test showed that I am low on iron, but I didn't do any new blood test since then. And I guess it is pretty late to do it now anyway. So I am just taking those pills and hoping for the best

·
Registered
477 Posts
MM,<br>
Are you saying the Floradix you got is in pill form? I haven't heard of that. Maybe while you are taking it you could temporarily reduce your prenatel intake. I just take a shot (I don't measure it) of the liquid Floradix when I start to feel run down and overly tired/wierd.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I know my doula highly recommends liquid Floradix and says it works quickly. She wanted me to get some a few days after the birth because I looked so pale and thought it might have been low iron. I just stuck with the liquid chlorophyll that I already had and ate some spinach and steak salad.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am horrible with taking liquid supplement stuff so I was psyched that DH found Floradix in tablet form. I'd never heard of/seen it before either - I always thought Floradix was liquid! That's also my thing with liquid chlorophyll - I am so the type to barf stuff like that right back up lol.<br><br>
Bleh. I dunno. It's still sealed. I have a prenatal tomorrow and will probably ask about it then. I'm trying to eat more iron-y foods but my appetite is such crap that I'm doing poorly at it.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I went in for an NST and such today, I asked about it, and the MW said I can take both Floradix and the prenatal - but if I can't take all 3 doses, 2 should be okay. I dunno, I'm still not 100% comfortable with it, so I haven't decided yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts