Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,<br><br>
I read the response from the expert about flouride and she says to use drinking water without flouride.<br><br>
I know flouride tooth paste is bad for children but I heard you should give them tap water with traces of flouride to prevent cavities. Is this correct? Or should I be giving my daughter bottled water without flouride? Will my daughter be more prone to cavities drinking water without flouride? Is it worth the risk not to expose her to traces of flouride found in city water? So confused....<br><br>
What are all of you doing?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
wow, I REALLY hope someone has some CLEAR answers to these questions. I personally DID start givign my daughter the stupid fluoride drops at 6 months old(though she had no teeth until 13 months) and stopped after about a month after reading some scary stuff here on Mothering.com about it. I recently took M to the dentist who got on my back over it and told me this that and the other thing, none of which I understood by the way! I honestly have no idea what to think. I hope someone can clarify this for BOTH of us!!! I haven't given Madyson fluoride since she was 7 months old and her teeth are wonderful except for one spot of decalcification on a front lower incisor. We brush regularly and floss a few times a week(not as much as we should) and everything seems fine. Hope this thread gets a response!<br>
Meg

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
My doctor, who writes for Mothering sometimes, gave me a great informational sheet on fluoride in public water supplies. He advises never to cook with it let alone drink it.<br><br>
Here are some of the things mentioned in the flyer:<br><br>
1. The type of fluoride added to drinking water never occurs in nature and is contaminated with many hazardous substances.<br><br>
2. Fluoride is more toxic than lead and slightly less toxic than arsenic. However, several hundred times more fluoride is allowed in the water than either lead or arsenic.<br><br>
3. Fluoride accumulates in the body and the environment, like lead and arsenic, inflicting damage over a long period of time.<br><br>
4. Four glasses (one liter) of fluoridated water equals a one-milligram prescription dose of fluoride, or four times the maximum dose from children 6 months to 3 years of age.<br><br>
5. Fluoride supplements are only available by prescription. Putting fluoride in the water is therefore medicating entire populations without people's permission.<br><br>
6. We are already being over-fluoridated without drinking artificially fluoridated water. Fluoride is found in most toothpastes, in foods, and drinks processed in fluoridated areas, and in pesticide residue on fruits, vegetables and grains.<br><br>
7. Infants should be given no fluoride at all. Formula made with fluoridated water is harmful to babies.<br><br>
8. A family-sized tube of fluoride toothpaste contains enough fluoride to kill a small child.<br><br>
9. Dental fluorosis, the permanent discoloration, scarring, and weakening of children's teeth, is a visable sign of fluoride poisoning.<br><br>
10. There is no difference in tooth decay rates in fluoridated and unfluoridated cities. Recent studies of defluoridated cities have shown no increase in cavities, and sometimes a decrease.<br><br>
11. Fluoridation chemicals have never been approved for safety or effectiveness by either the EPA or the FDA. The product used in most water supplies is hydrofluorsilic acid.<br><br>
12. Fluoridation has been rejected, discontinued, or banned throught most of the world. Almost all of Europe is unfluoridated, and their teeth are often healthier than Americans.<br><br>
13. Recent studies show that hip fracture rates in the elderly are significantly higher in fluoridated areas.<br><br>
14. Malnourished people, particularly children, as well as the elderly, people with diabetes, kidney and heart disease, are at greater risk for fluoride's harmful effects.<br><br>
15. Fluoride is linked to many health problems, including thyroid disease, bone cancer, behavior problems, arthritis, and genetic damage.<br><br>
Some websites:<br><br><a href="http://www.fluoridealert.org" target="_blank">http://www.fluoridealert.org</a><br><br><a href="http://www.fluoridation.com" target="_blank">http://www.fluoridation.com</a><br><br><a href="http://www.saveourwater.org" target="_blank">http://www.saveourwater.org</a><br><br>
Deborah

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Personally, i try to avoid flouride. Sodium flouride is the byproduct of aluminum manufacture. It's amazing that something that is toxic and hard to dispose of is now being incorporated into so many things that we come in contact with daily. <shudder> I think i first read about the dangers of sodium flouride in the eighties in a book called Fit for Life.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't have any information to say about children and fluoride but I can use myself as an example. In Finland (and I think in other Scandinavian countries as well), where I come from, fluoride is added to drinking water. Children are also given fluride tablets and dentists put fluoride on your teeth every time you visit them. I had hardly any cavities when I lived there. After I moved to the U.S. and had unfluoridated water, I started getting cavities. So there it is, my anecdote. I'm a pretty healthy person, too, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Believe what you want, but *numerous* scientific studies have documented a significant reduction in cavities among children who taken flouride supplements (in one study, the most significantly affected group was infants who began supplementation at 6 months).<br><br>
Speaking from personal experience, I grew up on flouridated water. I have no cavities (and it's not a genetic thing b/c my parents' mouths were FULL of cavities). I do have a *little* discoloration, perhaps from the flouride. But who cares? I'd rather have slight discoloration than a mouth full of cavities. I live in Oregon now where the water is not flouridated and never has been; every time I go to the dentist (it's an HMO, so I see a different dentist every time) they take a look at my mouth and immediately ask 'You didn't grow up around here did you?'<br><br>
As with any controversial issue, the important thing is to do your own research and do what you feel comfortable with. Just make sure that you get your information from a variety of sources. Websites can be okay, but all they're doing is interpreting the research for you. I always look at Medline and other online databases to look at the research first hand and make my own interpretations.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I want to say thank you to uccomama for all of the info she gave. I honestly had not given that much thought to this subject, but you can bet I am now. Thanks for all the stats and the links. I am checking right now to find out if the area I recently moved to flourinates.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I hate the idea of floride in the water!! It can be toxic. It is a powerful substance that should not be given across the board, to everyone.<br><br>
That said, we did not have floride in our well water. My mother was to give us all floride tablets. I detested the taste of mine, even as a very small person. No matter how she tried to hide them, I would spit out or vomit up whatever they were in. So she gave up and I became a no-flouride experiment. My teeth are rotting out of my head. I had cavities everytime I went to the dentist. I have had numerous root canals, and still have 2000-3000 $$$ of dental work done every year. My mouth is a mess. I brushed and flossed, I went for regular check ups. My siblings all have healthy mouths. I alone suffer from this affliction. No one can tell me that it is because I did not get flouride, but I bet it is. When I go to a new dentist they always say, "You didn't have flouride in your water, did you?"<br><br>
I would be very interested in the doctors research that suggests there is no correlation between flouride and cavities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your responses.<br><br>
I will have to do some more researh to figure this one out!<br><br>
R&B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts