Mothering Forum banner

flower essence for over grooming?

758 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Ary99
my "psycho" kitty (8 years old) started licking all her belly hair off this winter while stuck in the hosue with our new cat, whom she doesn't really care for. she's "semi" feral... she gets her 90 seconds of human contact once a day and then is happy to be alone for the rest of the day. pilling her is near impossible. (thankfully she is pretty healthy)

i think flower essences would be best to treat her, any thoughts? i thought i would get better when spring got here, but it hasn't.

my GF said she had a "brazilian!!"
:
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
try dried catnip sprinkled on her food once a day first, it often works well.
Rescue Remedy! Four drops in her water, every day. There may be a specific Bach flower remedy for this siuation (excessive grooming brought on by stress), but I don't know it off the top of my head. I have a little chart somewhere that shows which flower remedies to use for pets experiencing certain conditions, and I can't find it right now. I got it at Whole Foods, a "Pets have feelings, too" brochure displayed with the Bach flower solutions.

Can you try to let her have some time in a particular room (doesn't have to be large) withOUT the other cat? Food, water and a litter box (can be small), will help her feel more at home.

Also, a product called Feliway is good at helping cats feel more calm. It's sold as a way to discourage marking (spraying), but it also works to induce a I-feel-good state. PM me if you want more information.

By the way, I deal with feral cats a lot.
I tried EVERYTHING with my dearly departed Big G. He was a nervous wreck (major over grooming issues) and despite acupunture and flower essences, we ended up putting him on anti-depressants (Buspar). He later won a settlement as part of a class action law suit against the makers of Buspar for price gouging (I'm not making this up), but that's another story, lol!

I had hoped to find something natural to help him. I tried massage, an animal communicator, but in the end, the drugs helped.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.