Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the mist or shot for my kids. I've heard that the mist is more effective but can cause more side effects. I've also heard that they are about the same in effectiveness. I'm leaning toward the mist...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have to make the same decision for my 3-year-old, who has to have a flu vaccine by the end of December for preschool. I had assumed the mist was better until I saw some scary theories and anecdotes about flu mist viruses going from the nasal cavity into the brain and causing brain damage. Also read theories about the MSG in the mist infiltrating the brain. Not sure if there's any truth to these things at all, but since it's a newer vaccine and hasn't been very widely used among kids yet, it does make me nervous.

On the other hand, the mist is supposedly 50% more effective in kids than the shot, and if I'm going to give a vaccine, I'd rather get some actual protection out of it. And the shot is not without its own reported side effects.

So I don't know. Please let me know what you end up choosing.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lol same issues I'm having. I'm taking the kids in for hep a, hep b and flu on Monday. I'll talk to the Dr and let you know.

ETA: I'm not really worried about the msg, brain damage claims. I'm more concerned about the potential fevers, aches, runny nose, etc. Seems like the risk is much lower with the shot.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got my flu shot today. I get it for free through my school so I didn't get a choice. I think I decided to get the shot for the kids as well. Unless the Dr has a compelling reason to go with the mist anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts