Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tues.
Woke throughout night. During day was lethargic and then running 100 to 102 temp. Slept most of the day and when he wasn't sleeping looked like he was about to sleep. Can put his neck to his chest and says nothing hurts except his tummy. Doesn't eat.

Wed. temps 101 to 102.5; still not eating but saying his tummy doesn't hurt. Starts coughing and sneezing a bit.

Thursday seems to feel good; no fever; coughing more and still not eating.

Friday and Saturday no fever but less energy and slept a lot-especially Saturday; coughing more; not eating

Sunday Waking up throughout night; feverish; sleeping thoughout day, coughing (not choking but sounds more icky) more sneezing with more snot. Temps today 101 to 102.5 still no appetite. Slept almost all day--maybe really awake for 6 hours but laying around then. Isn't unresponsive but this is really, really low energy as in falling asleep sitting up kind of low energy.

Both boys have this (one brother is about a day behind the other and is showing similar symptoms in terms of two days of fever, no fever feels good, more tired/lethargic and I expect a fever tomorrow) so I'm guessing this is viral?
I'm doing the right stuff (sodium ascorbate, cod liver oil, etc.)

I'm just wondering...is this flu like or something more (pertussis?) His grandparents had something similar and over time were actually coughing up mucuos to the point of gagging. It hung on for a long time. I don't have any symptoms though.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
It does NOT sound like pertussis to me at all. They probably have some virus.

I would treat it like a virus, I see that you are doing that anyway. CLO is very important for a virus.

Also I don't think your parents had pertussis. Grownups generally do NOT bring up fluid with pertussis. Sounds like they had the croup.

Moist cough in grown ups is generally a croup like infection.

JMO.

Here is my post with remedies in case you want to look through it. Good recipe for your parents. We keep it handy at all times.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I don't know if you'll be back here but do you think this much sleeping is concerning? I've never known them to sleep this much with illness.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
IMO each person handles infections differently. This may be the best way for them to deal with it.

I looked at the picture that you posted. Darling kids btw.

They look healthy and strong. You can really go by that most of the time.

Were they healthy and pretty robust before this set in?
If so, they will be able to handle this quite well.

Let me see -

Tuesday - slept all day.
Wednesday - fever

Thursday - better (the body took a break)

Friday - slept
Saturday - slept
Sunday - awake during night; sleeping during day.

3 days. Not that long. Sounds like they are going to sleep through this.

Funny, that's what my grandson deals with an infection. I have to wake him up to drink something and I do that every hour on the hour. Just a few sips. Then he goes right back to sleep.

I would let them sleep it off. Seriously, that is the best thing for them.

I bet by tomorrow they'll start getting better. But it does take a while.

Make sure they have enough fluid. Like I said, a few sips every hour on the hour is good enough. Don't give in, they do have to drink a few sips.

I do hope you don't treat the fever. That would be counterproductive to their healing.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you..it is so helpful to have your perspective! No, no fever reducing here. I hadn't been waking them for sips though and one does look sort of dehydrated so I'll do that (the other guy is drinking quite a lot of water when awake). Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.