Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of you natural mamas doing to prepare for the Flu season??? My self I plan on loading up on mushrooms/probiotics/colosrum and garlic...do you know if are any SAFE herbs that can be taken during pregnancy?
:

· Registered
1,607 Posts
Current plan:

Good vitamin D intake (we always supplement, and at my recent midwifery appt they checked D levels, which I was going to ask for since I've never had mine checked. They are now doing it routinely which I'm really happy about. I'm curious to see if I can bump up to even a little more D if necessary).

Lower sugar intake (we're usually good about this but I've been straying in the past few weeks
)

Coconut oil for the lauric acid benefits

Probiotics

washing hands frequently, using non-Tricolosan hand sanitizer when out and about and it isn't easy to wash hands for real.

DH will be flying in late October. I'm going to send him w/ some nasal saline spray (read something recently about regular seasonal flu and keeping the nasal passages moist as the weather becomes less humid being beneficial). eta: and hand sanitzer as well. If things are really peaking at that point, he might do a mask but it depends on how bad things are at that point. I don't think he's likely to go that route unless things are *really* bad at that point.

Keeping oscillococcum on hand for all of us...from what i've read it seems okay to use in pregnancy. Anyone else planning on using this if needed?

That's all I can think of. Hoping for the best.

Some of the traditional immune boosters are supposedly contraindicated with H1N1 because of the risk of a cytokine storm, which makes things tricky.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OOOHHH yeah....I forgot about blockade (that is the elderberry lozenges right?) and osoloccium(whatever) homopathics never really worked for me tho... I heard If you take too much vit.C that It could cause uterne contractions... anyone else heard of that?

· Registered
1,607 Posts
I take 1000-2000, however, talk to your care provider. The best way to know if you have adequate levels is the blood test. Many people, even w/ supplementation are still low or lower end of normal range. My nurse practitioner (saw her for my first midwifery appt) and I were discussing this quite a bit.

She mentioned some study they came across linking low D to c-sections...haven't looked into this yet on my own. I thought that was quite interesting though!

I have PCOS so I would not be surprised if my levels were still on the lower end of normal even w/ supplementation. Those w/ insulin resistance, diabetes, PCOS, etc. often have lower D levels. I do live in the sunny southeast though so hopefully that helps a bit. I'm curious what my levels will be!

eta: found a summary of the vitamin D/c-section study:
http://www.reuters.com/article/healt...53F69B20090416

· Registered
485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marymamabunny View Post
OOOHHH yeah....I forgot about blockade (that is the elderberry lozenges right?) and osoloccium(whatever) homopathics never really worked for me tho... I heard If you take too much vit.C that It could cause uterine contractions... anyone else heard of that?

Vitamin C in really high doses (6-10g per day) can be used as an abortificant. That is A LOT of ascorbic acid. My pre-natal vitamins, which have 167% DV, are only 100mg. A packet of Emergen-C is 1000mg=1g of Vitamin C. So, from what I understand, you would have to be really consciously downing a ton of ascorbic acid to lead to uterine contractions.

You can read a little more about it at http://www.sisterzeus.com/vit_c_ab.html

· Registered
7,286 Posts
I heard elderberry is associated with miscarriage, too.

I'm doing CLO and hand sanitizer. Also my neti pot. i'll be neti-ing at the first sign of congestion. I do extra vitamin C when I'm sick, but only about 1000 mg/day, usually.

· Registered
411 Posts
Hey mamas - I am new to the world of herbal remedies. I did use Umca (sp?) for colds last winter, but I worked at a daycare and it's pretty difficult to keep yourself sanitized and healthy when so many of the kids are sick. This is my first pregnancy and I would like to be much more careful about what I put in my body from now on.

My OB who I am not seeing anymore prescribed me generic prenantals which I stopped taking due to hyperemesis (which has let up quite a bit, thank God!). MW said to not worry about prenatals until I felt normal again, as to not upset my tummy and agitate the M/S.

I'm very lost as to what would be healthy for me in general and for this flu season that is approaching. I do have an iron deficiency, and I have struggled with hypoglycemia in the past. Based on that, what do you think would be a good daily routine of herbs and supplements? I can't go overboard and swallow a million pills a day because my tummy doesn't like consuming large quantities of water in one sitting, but I could space it out.

I am very eager to hear what you all suggest, and thank you in advance

ETA: Oh, and if you could make sure to explain any abbreviations and explain what the herbs do that would help me, too. I now we like to abbreviate but I might not know what you're talking about since this is new to me
thanks!

· Registered
3,070 Posts
My supplements:
Vit D 2000-5000IU
CLO
Probiotic
B Complex

Garlic
Ginger

I'm also going to get a blend of thieves oil.

Frequent handwashing and minimizing trips to crowded areas.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikelet View Post
I'm very lost as to what would be healthy for me in general and for this flu season that is approaching. I do have an iron deficiency, and I have struggled with hypoglycemia in the past. Based on that, what do you think would be a good daily routine of herbs and supplements? I can't go overboard and swallow a million pills a day because my tummy doesn't like consuming large quantities of water in one sitting, but I could space it out.
I have been reading a VERY good herb book by Susan Weed the title is called The ChildBearing Year and the publication is by Wise Women Herbals. Its all about going threw your pregnancy usinf healthy foods and common and pregnancy safe herbs like natural sources of iron such as Nettle (there is more in there but i forgot lol) But i think you can read some sections online OR you could chat/blog to her directly in her forum
http://www.healingwiseforum.com/

hopes this helps ENJOY!
:

· Registered
82 Posts
I love Susan Weed!!! I will probably pick up that book this week.
We have emergen-c
I need to find out about umcka and elderberry
I also make traditional bone broths and swear they work
cut back on sugar intake
lots more water and concord grape juice
fermented food
I also need to find out about grapefruit seed extract and chestal

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tolliverfamily2000 View Post
I love Susan Weed!!! I will probably pick up that book this week.
Lol I been reading it front to back over and over again, I just cant get over how informative it is! I looked up a picture of susan weed and she looks so...natural! lol BUT she is the BEST for at home herbals! LOVE HER!
:

· Registered
7,286 Posts
anyone know if colloidal silver is safe during pregnancy?

· Registered
471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tolliverfamily2000 View Post
Susan is totally crunchy looking.....I love it!!!
I think Rosemary Gladstar is really crunchy looking but totally beautiful. I wish I looked like her.
Me too! I met her at an herbal conference a couple years ago and she was SO spirited.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
anyone know if colloidal silver is safe during pregnancy?
I think that sliver is totally safe, its like taking zinc...but since it is a heavy mineral use sparingly, you can OD. Taking 10ppm is safe for everyone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.