Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read on another site that the CDC recommends flu shots for all pg women http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/flu/fluvac.htm. I read the info and it sounds reasonable, but don't flu shots have thimerisol? I do not plan on having the shot at this point but wondered what the rest of you are doing.

Also, I really wanted to search for this as I am sure it's come up before, but couldn't since "flu" is 3 letters. Anyone discovered any "tricks" to searching in cases like this? TIA!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I've only ever had a flu shot once, about 5 years ago. Since then I don't "do" shots at all. My DH doesn't get the flu shot anymore, and my ds hasn't had any vaccinations.

I'll skip this one too.... its never been an issue, I'd rather deal with the flu that the risk of the shot - and for the record, I've never had these "bad" cases of flu they're always telling people about.

Try posting on the vaccination board, you'll get alot more info there.

Chelly

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I had a nasty flu when pg with dd but we were both fine. So I will almost certainly skip the shot. The thing is I have asthma and it's starting to flare up with the pg. My ob/gyn is very natural-minded and doesn't like to do anything medical that's not necessary. I'll see what he says.

Darshani

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I wouldn't get the flu shot pregnant or not pregnant...
It seems silly for me for healthy people to shoot diseases into their blood stream. I mean homeopathics seem reasonable, but vaccinations are absurd to me. And yes, there is also the issue of the preservatives.
I prefer to take the route of prevention with diet, exercise, bodywork, and lifestyle. If I get ill (which is usually not often, and also mildly), then I treat the symptoms with natural means (herbs, homeopathics, vitamins, minerals, teas, flower essences, etc).
I have never in my life been vaccinated for anything and have never been extremly ill. I think a person has a better chance of staying healthy by avoiding vaccinations, and living a life of healthy choices and prevention.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Yeah, its got thimerisol. Kind of odd, that mercury is the reason they tell pg women to avoid tuna and then they push this thing.
:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Don't plan to. I had a flu shot about 8 years ago for the first time and felt horrible afterwards. I'd never had a bad flu before, so I really don't know why I got it. I haven't had it since and haven't ever had the flu since either.

F.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Even though it looks like everyone has said this isn't a good idea, here's a site with a bit more information about vaccines--The National Vaccine Information Center is sort of the counter position to the CDC. I find them to be a bit more balanced, but I'm mostly anti-vaccination. http://www.909shot.com/Diseases/influenzafacts.htm

Personally, I have never had a flu shot and also have never had the flu. I don't plan to get one now that I'm pregnant, either.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TY, everyone! I didn't think I wanted the vaccine - now I am sure I don't. I especially appreciate the link to The National Vaccine Information Center - I am just begining my research on vaccinations and am sure this will come in helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.