Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We've decided to get DS the flu vaccine this year (he recently started preschool).  He's 3 and when I made the appointment, the receptionist asked if we wanted the shot or the mist.  I hadn't looked into it yet, so I wasn't sure.  I know that the mist has the live virus and the shot has the killed, but is one better than the other?  And are there any other differences (except of course getting jabbed vs nasal sprayed)?</p>

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
<p>The live vaccines sheds and the killed one does not, so if  you're around immune compromised individuals, newborns, cancer patients, etc., you probably shouldn't go with the live.  I also believe one version can't be given to those with egg allergies.  Also, the needle version has mercury in it a lot of the time (or at least it used to), so if you go for that version, you'd have to ask for the mercury free one.</p>

·
Registered
339 Posts
<p>My ped feels the mist is better in terms of preventing the flu, but it does shed.  One yr her whole family got it minus one person that she wasn't vaxxing, and the one that didn't get it, got the flu within days of them getting misted.  But she does feel it prevents the flu better.  And I have actually heard this from the vets office - they were drawing a comparison between the human flu shot and some shot that dogs get nasally (maybe the kennel cough one).</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts