Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a mother who is breastfeeding receives a flu shot, what is the effect on the nursing infant?<br><br>
Might the infant contract the virus, or be passed the anitbodies? Anyone know?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I do not know the answer to your question, but I do know that a bfing mother will pass on immunities to viruses the nursing child has been exposed to, regardless of whether the mother was ever exposed or not. If you want to pass on immunities from bfing, you will do it anyway regardless if you get the shot or not.

·
Registered
726 Posts
...and I was told this even by a 20 year old nursing student who knew nothing of the current vaccine controversy, is that there is so much mutation with flu virus that what works for this years bug is useless next year--- or even this year-- depending on the strain that someone catches.<br><br>
She told me-- not knowing what I know or even having been influenced by me in conversation-- that this vax is simply a...<br><br>
moneymaker for the Drug Industry.<br><br><br>
Procreate, Lactate, Disseminate!<br><br><br>
Ray<br><br>
P.S. and then there's the issue of toxins-- the Thimerosal is still in there, as well as all the others.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Let's not forget the thimerosol (mercury) that this vaccine is still preserved with; that can definitely be excreted in breastmilk.<br><br>
Anyone ever read <span style="text-decoration:underline;">Flu</span> by Gina Kolata, about the great flu pandemic of 1918-20? Killed more people than died in World War I. Now that's scary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's funny how I never thought twice about getting the flu shot myself, and now I am committed to researching the issue for my child. I guess that is what it means to be a parent.<br><br>
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice!

·
Registered
726 Posts
...take a look at my Infectious Disease Mortality 1900-96 thread and you can see visually (finally got the direct link on my third post) what the flu pandemic did to death rates.<br><br>
From what you remember of the book, where did it start, and how did it spread? how quickly?, etc.<br><br><br><br>
Just curious,<br><br><br>
Ray

·
Registered
737 Posts
thanks for posting this important question about nursing mothers getting flu vaccines. I experienced this personally last fall when I visited my primary care doctor (internal medicine specialty) and she offered a flu shot, telling me is was "safe" for nursing mothers (my dd was 2 months old at the time). I even checked with the lactation center at the hospital the doc is affiliated with and the lactation consultants told me it was safe too. Unfortunately, I listened to them, and allowed myself to be injected with the flu shot. Only after did I find out it had thimerosal in it (when my husband came home from work and told me his employer offered free flu shots and asked him if he wanted the "thimerosal free" version of the shot). I was LIVID to say the least....<br><br>
Bottom line, I will never get the flu shot again and will try to educate all those mamas I come in contact with (I have done professional doula work) about the dangers of the flu vaccine, especially to nursing/pregnant mothers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mamanurture,<br><br>
If the thimerasol free version is available... would you still advise against it?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Given the personal research I've done in the last 12 months (since receiving that flu shot), I have decided against vaccinations of any kind for both little ones and myself (I've advised dh against the flu shot but don't know what his decision is yet). Thimerosal was just one of the concerns I have with vaccines. I've decided to pursue other things like changing our diets to a more organic, whole foods, plant-based diet for nutritional purposes as well as receiving chiropractic care and vitamin/herbal supplements. I've gone almost 2 years without a major illness since starting these alternative approaches to wellness, despite major sleep deprivation. I'm not in favor, personally, of introducing toxins in order to prevent illnesses like the flu that my body would handle on its own in a relatively benign way if I do what I can to boost my immune system.<br><br>
Thimerosal was the initial trigger for me to pursue vax research but in the process, I found other concerns....

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Ray, it's been a couple of years since I read it and I believe one of my book-nabbing sisters is currently in possession. It's a really gripping read, though.<br><br>
One thing I do remember that I thought was fascinating was that usually in a flu epidemic the youngest and the oldest die, while youth/adults do relatively well. In the pandemic, though, young people and young adults were felled in great numbers (sick one day, dead the next) while older people fared pretty well. The book hypothesizes that that was because an epidemic a number of years earlier had helped the older generation receive partial immunity to the strain that caused the pandemic.<br><br>
I'll tell ya, reading the book gave me the screaming meemies. I am all for not vaxing and living a healthy lifestyle, but I firmly believe there are some bugs that no amount of healthy living will overcome.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Slightly OT...<br><br>
My grandfather served in the US Navy in WWI and was present on his boat when 2/3 of the sailors got the 'flu. He didn't get it. Dumb luck? Great immune system? Already immune? I don't know.<br><br>
I do know that he said that their ships doctor had everyone who got it drinking a glass of orange juice made by crushing the whole orange into a paste (peel included) and one raw egg every few<br>
hours. And, apparently, they had only one death. And, after the outbreak hit, two oranges a day (on top of regular rations) were issued to everyone who hadn't yet gotten it and they were commanded to eat everything, including the chewing the seeds.<br><br>
I've heard of something similar from one other person, but I don't think this was normal practice. I also suspect that they could do this as their base was San Diego and they probably went back for re-stocking frequently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts