Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be giving birth in the coming weeks and my in-laws are planning on getting the flu vaccine in mid-November. Do you think it is ok for them to be around the baby if they get the shot? If they decide on the mist, how long should I wait before I don't have to worry about shedding?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shot would be better if they insist on getting it. Mist I think could potentially shed for a month, but I'd have to find the insert to be sure.

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
The other thing to emphasize is that you'd appreciate anyone who feels even slightly ill to stay away. A tiny bit of sniffles or a ticklish throat could be the first stages of something that a newborn would have trouble handling.

Although, if you are breastfeeding, the dangers are much reduced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I plan on breastfeeding again. This is my second child but for some reason I am very worried about the flu vaccine. I guess it is because the grandparents will be getting it and they will be holding the baby and kissing it on the head. Did you ask your family members not to kiss your newborns? Or not to get vaccines during the newborn period? Or just not to come over while they could be shedding?

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Be specific that you don't want the baby exposed to flu-mist.

The injectable vaccine doesn't shed, but there is some suspicion that it can lower immunity and get people sick with something else. So do make it very clear that if they have even slight symptoms, no exposing the baby until, say, 2 months old. Or whatever cut off you feel comfy with.

Kissing on top of the head is probably fairly safe, you could ask them not to kiss on the face.

Reactions: profe

·
Registered
824 Posts
Out of curiosity, why don't they just get the shot or mist now and be done with the "side effects" before visiting the baby? It sounds like you are not due for a few or several weeks-- why are they waiting for November?
If they are asking which one to take, it would make more sense for them to get the shot with your circumstances...

Good luck with asking them not to kiss the baby's face.. babies are very kissable and you cuddle them fairly close to your face. Don't forget hand washing before touching the baby!

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Also a good idea to ask people to take off their shoes. Shoes can carry all sorts of stuff.

If you can channel people into the kitchen or a small bathroom for hand-washing and shoe removal before they get near the baby you can reduce a lot of risk.

Reactions: blessedwithboys

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good luck with asking them not to kiss the baby's face.. babies are very kissable and you cuddle them fairly close to your face. Don't forget hand washing before touching the baby!
I don't pass my newborns around, so you can avoid it. If someone who will be pushy comes over I get baby settled in a sling first to make it pretty clear that mama and baby don't separate unless necessary. I know I'm not in the norm on this though, I just have a very strong mama bear instinct to be separated as little as possible when they are so tiny.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am actually due in less than one week, but my first was almost 2 weeks past my due date which is why I said I was expecting in the coming weeks. When I spoke to my husband about getting the vaccine early, he said they told him it was not available yet. But I keep seeing signs at the supermarket and pharmacies nearby advertising flu shots. They were so uncomfortable with us not vaccinating that we don't even talk about it now. I've decided to let my husband deal with his own family but information relayed through him is not the most detailed.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Actually, you should be very careful regarding anyone kissing your newborn baby.

This baby died from a kiss due to cold sore virus: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...illed-cold-sore-virus-loving-kiss-father.html
that baby was also premature, and the father had an active blister on his lip as well. And, this happened over in the UK...babies in USA hospitals are more likely to pick up a secondary infection which makes them ill, too. Or the mother gets sick, then transmits illness to formula fed baby.
When's the last time a baby in the USA has died from a herpes kiss?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts