Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a flu shot while pregnant, or know of any research on this?

I saw my allergist today (just a regular check-up) and he said that while it's totally up to me, he recommends. The literature put out by the vaccine manufacturer recommends it, too! (go figure). I told him i'd think about it. He said "your OB will have to sign off on it" and the look on his face was one of shock when i told him i've NEVER seen and OB for ANY pregnancy!!

I was really deathly ill for nearly 10 days with the flu last fall, and I can't imagine going through that while pregnant.

I know vaccines in general are taboo around here. . .just looking for any insights.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I'm not anti-vax, but I won't be getting a flu shot because they do contain thimerasol.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
It was my impression that the flu shot is only for people who are at high risk, like either really bad healthy problems or the elderly. My employer would always encourage people to get them so they wouldn't have to take sick leave. I have asthma and am supposed to get one but my asthma's not *that* bad so I'm not getting one. I may suffer with the flu but just don't want to put more stuff in my body than I have to.

Darshani

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
If I where preggo I would NEVER get the flu shot and I made that descion long before I ever started looking at vaccine saftey. When I used to be a cashier there where way to many people that came through my line that where sicker than a dog with the flu, most all of those said they shouldnt be sick because they have had the flu shot. Then was when it started dawning on me vaccines dont always work.

When I was preggo with my second child I got the flu, it wasnt any worse that when i have had it un-preggo. Nice thing was when dh got the flu again a couple of weeks later I never got it.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
When I was pregnant with my first, I was told that if I was going to be in the second or third trimester during the flu season, I should get the shot. My OB actually told me that. I ended up not getting the shot or the flu. My husband gets a flu shot every year and asks me if I want to get one, but I figure that the type of flu I'm likely to get isn't even the kind that would be covered under the yearly flu shot.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mahdokht
I know this isnt helpful but.... Every year my friends get the flu shot and I don't. Every year they get the flu. I haven't had the flu since high school. That thing must be the least effective vaccine on the market.
Same thing with my husband, when we met, every year he'd get the shot and every year he'd be sicker than a dog! I got it one year, and never again. My husband stopped getting it, he hasn't had one for around 4 years now, although he does get sick he's never been so bad that he had to take more than one day off work.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I've gotten it every year since I was 18 thanks to the military. This year I'll be having the baby before flu season, so I'll probably get a flu shot so that the immunities will protect me AND the baby. The thing with the shot is that they try to predict what 3 strains of flu are going to be the most common in the coming year and vax against those. It doesn't cover all strains of flu, so it's accurate to say it decreases your chances of catching the flu, but only those 3 strains, so you can still get the flu, but if it's a closely related strain to one you're vaxed against it won't be as severe as it would if you hadn't gotten the shot.

No, it's not a 100 percent guarantee. And because of the thimerisol I wouldn't get it while pregnant, either. Have your DH and anyone else in your household who has heavy contact w/ those outside it (work outside it, go to school) get it, and that'll reduce the chances of them bringing it home at least. Most of all, though, wash your hands frequently and avoid people with the flu.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I just had to ask to confirm what I felt. And I was just soooo sick last winter, it was awful (but i think I had a shot anyway!).

I'm trusting the pregnancy hormones and immunites to keep me well this year! (and washing my hands constantly!!)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm sure you'll be just fine.

My son who's never had a shot has the shortest duration when it comes to colds and flu - he might be sick for a day or two at the most, I'm sure its because his body is so strong from developing his own immunity.
(Now I just wish I got better that fast - it takes me at least 3 days, more often a week to get over the flu)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts