Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds attends a Montessori here in GA. In today's newsletter, there was a notice that a physicians' group will be administering $20 flu vaccines at his school for anyone that wants them next month. I was floored!!! I can't believe that they would do that at a Montessori school, a place where they supposedly honor the natural abitlity of the body to heal.<br><br>
Does anyone know if this is truly kosher with Montessori? I emailed AMI and asked, but I wondered if anyone else had info. I plan to approach the administration next week and voice my concern.<br><br>
To add insult to injury, I have basically been refused the opportunity to speak about chiropractic and kids at the school. So, let me get this straight...it's OK to let some jack*** MD come in and shoot toxins into people, but we can't let the looney chiropractor in?<br><br>
A friend told me that usually the school gets a portion of the fee. Maybe they are looking to make some $. It makes me sick either way.<br><br>
Thanks for letting me vent. I feel a little better. At least my son won't be attending school that day. I may even picket the school with some of the other more educated moms!<br><br>
Dawn

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
I was Montessori educated in elementary school. I don't really recall that there was any different philosophy regarding physical health care that at any other private school. I think it's not cool with Waldorf, but I would expect Montessori to be more mainstream in that dept.

·
Registered
19,133 Posts
it varies by school, but generally there is a sort of low-key feeling that vaccination is the business of the family. It is usually easy to turn in paperwork for exemptions at a waldorf school, but they certainly won't hassle parents who do decide to vaccinate or partially vaccinate.<br><br>
Having a flu shot clinic. Pretty unlikely in my experience of several schools. [I've been a student, a sibling, a parent and a business manager.]<br><br>
Deborah

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They didn't harrass me about not vaccinating ds. I just filed the exemption form. It just really ticks me off that they would try to turn the school into a pseudo medical clinic for the day. Disgusting!<br><br>
Thanks for all the replies.<br>
Dawn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts