Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.healthline.com/health-news/flu-vaccines-help-unborn-children-pregnant-women#1

More evidence on the benefits of getting the flu vaccine during pregnancy that I thought I'd share for anyone currently pregnant or planning on it sometime in the future :)

In the study, published online today in the journal Pediatrics, researchers used electronic medical records to see how many infants developed flu or flu-like symptoms during their first six months of life.

The researchers compared the health of infants born to women who reported receiving the flu vaccine during pregnancy with women who had not.

Infants born to women vaccinated for the flu were 70 percent less likely to have laboratory-confirmed flu during their first six months. They were also 81 percent less likely to be hospitalized as a result.

A 2014 randomized trial published in the New England Journal of Medicine found similar benefits for newborns.

Another study, published in 2008 in the same journal, found a 63 percent drop in lab-confirmed flu for infants born to mothers who had received the flu vaccine during the third trimester.

The current study looked at a much larger number of infants than previous studies — 249,387 infants born to 245,386 women in Utah and Idaho. It also included data from nine flu seasons, from 2005 to 2014.

“The size of this study and the number of seasons adds strength to the goal of convincing more women to immunize themselves to protect both themselves and their infants during pregnancy, and the baby in the first six months of life,” said Shakib.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I got the flu shot during both of my pregnancies (in fact two in the second as it was the year of h1n1) and my kids are fine.

Flu in pregnancy seriously worried me. It may be unlikely, but the outcomes for pregnant women (and the babies they carry) are not good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts