Mothering Forum banner

Flumist shedding period?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dymanic 
#1 ·
Anyone know what it is? Dh got the flumist yesterday afternoon along with anthrax and Hep B. He's upped his vitamin C and I'm making sure ds has extra Vit C as well. However dd is nursing and allergic to corn and there aren't any supplements I can take. I'm trying to drink more OJ and eat more veggies. I also bought a pineapple yesterday so I'm trying to up my Vit C naturally. Regardless though, dh is sneezing a lot (he's got allergies so the sneezing isn't out of the ordinary) and I'm worried about us getting the flu, especially dd.

He tried to get the shot. First he tried to tell them that he's on lots of allergy meds that bother his nose and give him lots of bloody noses. When that didn't work he pulled the infant card but they didn't care. They said they didn't have enough of the shots to go around. He told them his wife and son weren't going to be getting theirs but of course they didn't care and gave them a lecture about how we should get our shots

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
I'm worried about us getting the flu, especially dd.
As the peak of flu season approaches (and keeping in mind that there's a difference between concern and alarm) it is a good idea to give some thought to what precautions you might take to reduce your chances of that happening. According to an overwhelming majority of virologists, epidemiologists, and doctors, the science says the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine make it a good trade-off against the risks posed by infection with wild-type influenza. You've decided that they're wrong about that. I'm not sure why you'd suddenly be interested in what they have to say about the shedding period, but since you've asked: the 21 days NM mentions represents the maximum, and that's in children (known to shed virus for longer periods than adults); the mean (in children) is 7.6 days. With an immunocompetent adult, it may be assumed to be much shorter. Are you interested in what they have to say about the risk this shedding actually poses for contacts of a recent vaccine recipient?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.