Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids are being offered flumist this year. I will be getting the shot. My eldest has said she'd prefer an injection to the nasal spray (don't ask me why!). Can anyone remind me if there's a good reason to prefer one over the other in young children? I have a vague memory that the flumist has higher efficacy (Cochrane?), and it sure seems the less invasive option.

Sorry for using you like the lazy web! Also thought others choosing to vax might have the same question though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I'm an immunization-certified pharmacy student and this year the CDC/ACIP are recommending the flumist for all kids ages 2-8years old, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the shot (in fact, the guidelines specifically say that if the mist is not immediately available, don't wait for it and just use the shot) I think the recommendation is due to the convenience and pain-free administration of the mist as opposed to the shot, although it does become *slightly* less effective once you get over 8years old. Viral shedding is not a concern and should not be a reason to avoid the flumist. Hope that helps

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got my 3.5 year old the shot. He for whatever reason is phobic about his nose in general. He doesn't want it wiped, touched or defiantly not anything put in it (I tried saline and he freaked). So we do the shot. he doesn't mind it. I am pregnant so I get the shot as well.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My littlest got the flumist today. No side effects. :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out onlyy youngest got the mist, older got the shot. As did I. None of us had any problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts