Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd (2.5) has a cavity last fall which she got filled under IV sedation. Now, she has some decay on her back molar (not extensive, hasn't penetrated through to dentin) and her dentist is having us use a topical fluoride gel. Now, I was so anti fluoride. But, we have tried everything since last fall to prevent cavities. She eats so well, lots of raw foods. We give her xylitol and calcarea phosphorica. We brush w/ tea tree oil toothpaste with perilla seed. We brush often! She has been using the fluoride gel for a month now and the decay has stopped. I am still not sure about the whole fluoride thing, but it seems to be working.

Is anyone else a little unsure? Is anyone else using the topical stuff?
I hate to stop, b/c it seems to be working........

Anyone else in the same boat?

· Registered
1,178 Posts
We are in exactly the same boat here. We changed our diet which made HUGE improvements in not only stopping the scary rampant decay in DD but also fixed a bunch of other issues in my, DD's and DH's health. However, it wasn't until after we started doing fluoride treatments in the dental office and using fluoride toothpaste at home that DD's decay completely died (turned black).

I still think fluoride is nasty stuff, and if I had had a healthy diet pre-preg/nursing then I don't think I would have had to resort to it. But it worked for us.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
:

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toraji,
thanks for your post. from what i have researched the topical stuff vs. fluoride from ingestion(ie: water supply) is much safer and quite effective in stopping decay. it seems to be working with my dd, hope to not have to use it for too much longer, though!

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great interesting information. We are attempting to halt the decay until dd is older (she is 2.5 now) and can be treated w/o trauma (anesthesia etc). If you find any more information, please send on it is very interesting!
Aimee

· Registered
5,777 Posts
I use flouride once a day, or once every other day, and baking soda or natural toothpaste in between. I also floss a lot, and swish with hydrogen peroxide or salt water a lot.

I did develop a cavity while off flouride for a while-- haven't gotten any more since I went back on-- I understand your frustration.

· Registered
987 Posts
I stopped Trystan's vitamins with flouride back when he was about a year old (shortly after starting them) and just give him OTC vitamins (w/o flouride).
I also started brushing his teeth with a children's toothpaste (with flouride)... not consistently enough, unfortunately, though - I noticed a few brown spots on his teeth the other day. (GUILTGUILTGUILT... I *planned* to do it every evening, but I'm one person, momma to two, stbxH is no contact for over 2 years and I work FT OH, so I'd "forget" for days at a time, unfortunately...GUILTGUILTGUILT)
Since then, however, I've been brushing his teeth twice a day and I hope that will stop any decay... is the topical flouride by perscription only?

· Registered
1,178 Posts
Topical fluoride is just any method of getting fluoride on your teeth. This can even just be fluoride toothpaste. We did fluoride toothpaste multiple times a day plus did in-office treatments where they brushed DD's teeth with iodine and then painted fluoride on the decay.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, she has sealants on her one year molars and a sealant on the tooth in question. However, a sealant can only be applied on the chewing surface and not in between the teeth (where she has a problem). It has been 2 months now since we spotted the decay and the progression has stopped. I don't know if it has to do with the fluoride or not?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.