Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been giving cloth diapering a trial run with my breastfed baby and toddler. I was almost ready to switch, but then we had a bad washing experience today. The toddler had an unflushable poop so I put it in the wash, and due to some drainage problems with our washing machine the results were kind of nasty.

So I've realized that with the problems our washing machine has, I really can't be putting poopy diapers in the machine. Before giving up entirely, I was thinking about giving flushable liners a try, but I don't really get how they work. Can someone describe them to me? Are they hard to get on a squirmy toddler? Do they really keep most of the poop off? I'm kind of concerned about adding another step to a process that is already so much more work than disposables.

We've been using prefolds with Bummis Soft Whisper Wraps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
We have used Imse Vimse, too, and they are really easy. I also like the fact that they stand up to a couple of washings, so if baby just pees, you can wash it with the diapers and reuse it. We have public sewer--I don't know how flushable liners would work with a septic system. My guess is it could wreak havoc, so you might want to investigate that if you have septic prior to using liners.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
We have used the flushable liners here at different times, and I found they really make cleaning up after a bm much easier --grab a clean corner of the wipe, toss in toilet and be done. They've never clogged our toilets, and are pretty cheap to buy a roll

I tend to use our washable liners more often though
I find them easier to get on my 2 yr. old. The fabric liners kind of "stick" to the prefold while flushable ones shift around while putting the dipe on that combined w/a squirmy ds I dont enjoy it too much lol.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i would reccommend a diaper sprayer. you hook it up to your toilet and spray off whatever is stuck to the diaper! we tried the flushable liners, but didn't have much luck as it seemed to get all over everywhere anyway and I know that the rice paper liners are *not* reccommended for a septic system.

the diaper sprayer is around $25 bucks I think, or you can make your own out of parts from the hardware store. We
ours and I can't imagine trying to cd w/out it!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. We don't have a septic system, so flushable liners might be a good option. I have a question about a diaper sprayer. Is it any different from a shower head that detaches? We have a detachable shower head right next to our toilet, so might that work?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinaker View Post
Thanks for the advice. We don't have a septic system, so flushable liners might be a good option. I have a question about a diaper sprayer. Is it any different from a shower head that detaches? We have a detachable shower head right next to our toilet, so might that work?

it's a little different, but i don't see why your shower head wouldn't work. i'd try that before investing the $$ in a diaper sprayer!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I don't like disposable liners. I just found them to be a hassle for me personally. What I do like is fleece and or hemp liners. I do have to rinse the poos in the toilet but that is easier than rinsing the entire diaper. Then they go into the wash with the cloth wipes, dipes and mama pads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Beware, beware! The label claims that they're biodegradable, but not in the time that they're in your pipes. I was using them in our brand new house thinking that our new pipes could handle anything. . .I later found out that while the pipes in the house were OK, the pipe that connected us to the sewer was the original pipe that connected the old (torn down) house. I only flush one once a week or so now and pray that the infrequent flushing will allow time for them to disintegrate in the pipes. The owner of our local diaper store called the vendor for the rice paper liners and was told that they're really only flushable if you live in a NEW house in a BRAND NEW development. . .and even then to be careful.

What I generally do is to remove the poop from the liner and then wash them with the diapers; I only flush them if the poop is REALLY bad. The liners are able to be used more than once, so I keep washing them until they fall apart - at which point I put them in the trash.

I hope this helps someone avoid a very expensive plumbing bill!!

Roxanne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.