Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few weeks I'm taking a14 hr direct flight by myself with DS who will be 11.5 month...and he will be on my lap. Yes...14 hours. It was just far too expensive to get him his own seat when he could fly for almost free.

We do have a seat booked with one of those bassinet thingees but I can't imagine DS being too happy to hang out in there unless he's asleep. I imagine that's more for little babes who would probably sleep or lay there the whole time.

Anyway, I'm really anxious about the whole ordeal and trying to come up with ways to make it easier on both of us.

Anyone been on a long-haul flight like this with a little one around DS's age?

Can anyone recommend good toys that might hold his attention in a limited space? I'm bringing his favourite puppets and books and some new books with pop-ups that he will love...but other than that, I'm at a loss.

He's not quite walking yet...maybe he will be by the time we fly, but maybe not.

I realize I'll be counting on the flight crew to really help me out when I need to use the bathroom and around meal time. Even with help, I don't really see how I'll manage to eat unless someone holds DS whole time. Then there is the matter of feeding HIM...

I'm trying not to imagine nightmarish scenarios, but I can't help it.
uhoh3.gif

What should I bring onboard with us? Any advice or tips?

ANYTHING that will be of help is welcome!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
wow... you are brave. we are doing same in a month but only for a 6 hour flight, and i'll have DH! I don't have many suggestions for you... however, first, I would definitely bring a sling or a backpack. there will be times when you'll be able to pace the aisles. if you are wearing him on your back, you could stand and eat, stretch, etc., give your arms a rest. second, I would really try and see if you can get a bulkhead seat. it's the ones that back up against the little wall instead of a row in front of you. there is a LOT more room and when it's not turbulent he could stand there and stretch, even sit a little on the floor. I think you will find that there will be plenty of people, not just flight staff, who will be willing to give you a break & hold him, make faces and play peekaboo, so that will be helpful. he will sleep for chunks of the trip. if necessary, the flight staff will keep your food until he's asleep. it will be hard, but it will probably go better than you expect. For my LO at that age the biggest issue i have is her need to climb around - hence my suggestion of the bulkhead, if you can get it (we couldn't). you can also get up at times and go to the attendants' area and let him climb around & stretch. good luck! i hope someone has some good suggestions for you!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I dunno about how brave I am though... I'm terrified!
lol.gif

We do have a bulkhead seat I was sure to reserve one of those, so that's good. Also, we're flying on one of those huge Airbus A380s (they have really good legroom especially on the sides and bulkhead seats). I hope I'll be able to let him crawl about a little bit on the floor, that'll take some pressure off. I was hoping he might be walking by the time we go, at least then I can walk with him up and down the aisles. We've even got one of those walking-wings things that I was hoping to be able to use, but he's not there yet.

Thanks for the good luck wishes... I'll need it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I did three flights over about 18 hours with my son at that exact age. Super fun.

The bassinet with almost certainly be too small, but it means you will have the bulkhead seat at the front with more foot room so you can have him sit on the floor and play. He can sit there while you eat. If you have people next to you and there are extra seats the flight attendents may offer to move them or they may move themselves.

-Bring mountains of snack foods. You don't want a cranky hungry baby and they are great entertainment.

-books, puppets, inexpensive toys that you don't mind loosing, post-it notes, painter's tape, stickers

-If you have seatback TV that will probably make a huge difference. I know people find iPhone games to be real handy for this kind of thing. We had neither.

-pack everything in zip locks by type so you can pull out the entertainment bag or the food bag. Have the diaper change essentials hand in one bag. Unless he is small he will not fit well or at all on the change table in the bathroom.

-have handy at least one total change for him and at least a shirt for you. Bring a light blanket (preferably on that smells like home) for sleep and warmth.

-I pack everything we need on the plane in a backpack. I pack back ups, extras, 24 hours of stuff if our checked bags get lost stuff in a rolling carry on bag. Bring a carrier or a stroller (gate check it)

Check your airline website in their traveling with children section and e-mail them with any specific questions since different ones have such different rules and policies.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Leigh PF! Lots of great ideas.

I'm really hoping the people next to me will move!
lol.gif
But looking at the seating chart online, the flight looks pretty booked up! My mom took the same flight from here when she was visiting at around the same time and she said there were lots of babies in the bulkhead seats and the flight staff did get some people who volunteered to move around and all the folks with babies were together.

We will have a TV that comes out of the arm rest I think...or maybe it's on the wall in front, I'm not sure. And I am bringing my ipod and loading it up with apps that DS may be interested in. Also bringing my netbook and loading that up with sesame street and cartoons...DS has never really watched TV so I'm not sure if it will hold his attention.

Also bringing my Ergo...actually I'm up in the air about whether to bring the ergo or the sling on board. It's easy to sit with DS in the sling if he falls asleep in there and sometimes he will sit in it even when awake and he is much less wiggly than just sitting normally on my lap. But the ergo is a lot more comfortable for me for walking through the airport etc.

Snacks! Hmm...have to look around for some that are not sugar filled and are easily portable. Cheerios and....

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just got back from a vacation that involved a 9 hour train trip and an 11 hour car ride with our 14 month old DD so I feel your pain.

One snack that she really liked was organic freeze fried yogurt drops. We got them at Target and she loved them. Little pretzel twists were a hit, she liked to stick her finger through the holes and eat them like that. They provided a lot of entertainment
orngtongue.gif
We did get a lot of new board books, and that kept her pretty busy. Also, don't forget to bring masking tape; it has a multitude of uses from covering outlets to being used as a toy. And honestly, we spent most of our time walking up and down the aisle on train making friends :) People were really nice and played with her, she actually had a great time. Hopefully you will have nice people on the flight, it will make a huge difference. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks- I just ordered MORE new books in addition to the 3 I earmarked to bring out as new on the plane. Lately, books really are the only "toys" that hold his attention. He'll go from toy to toy and spend a minute on each, but with his books he'll flip through them over and over for a really long time! So I'm just going to go with that and hope his love of books will save me on the plane too...

I'll have to look around for those yogurt treats- they sound yummy!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
Also bringing my netbook and loading that up with sesame street and cartoons...DS has never really watched TV so I'm not sure if it will hold his attention.

Sorry, it's not letting me write outside the quote. But I think this is a great idea. My DS also doesn't watch tv, but has seen it a few random times. He was always entranced, it was actually scary! Anyway it gave us the idea that next time we have a long flight with him (I am also living abroad and have to fly 12 hours to get home) we are going to bring a portable DVD player and let him watch movies. If your DS is anything like most little kids, he'll be well distracted by the screen.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I guess it's worth a try PJ! Really ANYTHING is worth a try!

I don't let DS watch TV and we don't really watch TV in our house except for the occasional movie, the Daily Show or SNL when DS is sleeping so he really is not used to it. Whenever he sees a screen he is entranced too like your DS, so maybe it will work. And I'm sure it won't get him hooked on the boob tube forever!
winky.gif

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I would probably take some food for you that you can eat one-handed. Muesli bars or something.

Other than that I don't have any brilliant ideas. Good luck though!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I would probably take some food for you that you can eat one-handed. Muesli bars or something.

Other than that I don't have any brilliant ideas. Good luck though!
Thanks! Will definitely take some one-handed snacks for me! I'm used to being mauled while I eat so it shouldn't be too bad.
winky.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.