Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen threads on this topic before, but they must be older than the posts on the first 20 or so pages of the Toddler forum, so I'm starting a new one.

In a couple of weeks, we're flying to my Grannie's 80th birthday celebration.
We have a 2.25yo and a 6mo. What tips can you offer for success on the flights? They're both non-stop, a little less than 2 hours each. The timing is not ideal, since the flights available that fit the schedule of festivities are in the evening, but it's a quick weekend trip (gor what that's worth). I flew with DS1 when he was about 9mo, and he did great. I'm tandem nursing the lads now, but I'm not so sure about nursing them simultaneously on the plane. I read in another thread here at MDC a suggestion to have DS1 drink from a cup with a straw.

Anyhow ... if you have ideas and suggestions for managing this travel well (especially the flights such as activities, etc.), please post them here!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Because of family illness I have flown nonstop for the last 3 years with my now 3 and 2 year old. I suggest having suckers for the two year old for take off and landing (helps with the pressure change) also I generally have a special bag of plane toys. Things like pipecleaners for making animals and lacing cards for just playing with are really great for planes because they don't make a mess. Make sure you have lots of snacks and drinks. I always have spare clothes for each child in my carry on (along with diapering supplies). I have found sitting on an airplane (our flight was about 5 hours each direction) tends to give my daughter diaper rash unless I prophalactically use A & D ointment or some other rash cream. I also tend to put them in overnight diapers on the trip because they are more absorbant and wick the moisture away better. Besides that it is not so bad. We have had some horrible flights due to timing and overstimulation, but in all my kids have gotten to be good fliers. I think the boyscout motto of Always be Prepared is really helpful!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just flew with my kids. My big tip is to bring food. Plane food is unreliable, as is how long you can end up sitting on the runway without services. The ban on liquids is still in effect, but you can bring an empty sippy then fill it once through security. Bring fruit and snacky things. Bring something for you also.

Also bring a change of clothes for each child, and at least a top change for you. I've had my kids spill their drinks all over my shirt/down my shirt. (note to self*no more tomato juice).

A new book is also a winner. Wrap it like a present.
Stickers, bandaids, even masking tape is good.

good luck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We use "ear planes" when we fly. We have used them with our son when he was 13 months and when he was 4. They work great. They look like little soft plastic screws and you put them in their ears before take off and leave them in until you land, they help regulate the pressure. We wouldn't fly w/o them. You can get them in the ear plug section of the pharmacy.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmamma View Post
We use "ear planes" when we fly. We have used them with our son when he was 13 months and when he was 4. They work great. They look like little soft plastic screws and you put them in their ears before take off and leave them in until you land, they help regulate the pressure. We wouldn't fly w/o them. You can get them in the ear plug section of the pharmacy.
I'll look for those at Target today -- thanks!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
We just returned from two weeks in Europe and we had four separate flights. I only had one 2y/o child but I saw lots of people with two or more little ones. These are some tips that worked for us.

Bring a harness and a stroller. We bought a stroller that folds down in half -- not one of the big SUV-type strollers. She stayed in the stroller most of the time but when she insisted on getting out we used the harness. Both were incredibly helpful. You have to put the stroller and the harness through the metal detectors but the security people were helpful and friendly to us.

BTW -- many people in the airports used harnesses for the little ones. I had several parents with toddlers tell me they WISHED they had one when they saw ours.

Get a separate seat for the toddler. That gives you all more room.

A lot of people on this forum have suggested a carseat for the kids. We flew Virgin Airlines and they provided one for us so we didn't need to bring one; however, she adamantly refused to sit in it. That surprised me because she never resists getting into her carseat at home but somehow, for whatever reason, she just threw a fit about it on the plane. In the end she slept on the airplane seat -- it just wasn't worth the screaming on an overnight flight.

Ditto re: snacks and toys.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been wondering about a harness for the 2yo, as he loves to walk everywhere now. We are planning to sling them both in the airports -- DS1 in the patapum on DH and DS2 in the ring sling on me. The 2yo has his own ticket. Thank goodness we have non-stop flights! I found the ear planes and bought enough for all four of us, as I have come down with a cold and think I just might need them myself!
:

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Wish us luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.