Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm going on a trip to Florida in a few weeks and we're traveling by plane (I live in NY). I have always taken cloth on vacation before but whenever we've gone away it has always been by car.

We are going to be staying with family but our family doesn't "get" our decision to use cloth. I somehow doubt that they would be happy if we asked to use their washing machine to wash dirty dipes.

I can't imagine hauling back dirty dipes in our luggage or in a carry on bag (eeewwww!!). Can you just see the security guards faces if they told us to open our carry on bags

What have you all done when traveling by plane?????

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Could you stop at a laundry mat before you left? I have used Tushies disposables when on an extended vacation before, but Sean still got a little rashy even without the gel beads. I'd love to see securities face if they checked your luggage

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
We are in New England and fly down to Florida lots of times a year to visit family. We just take our cd's with us.
We actually take a rolling duffle bag that has one of those wet bags that unzips from the outside and stretchs into the inside of the bag for the dirty diapers. (does that make sense?
) Anyway...:LOL Our family is really good about our cloth, and they don't mind us using their washing machines.
I guess if they really put up a stink about it...no pun intended
...we would just find a nice laundry mat, and double wash.
If you did that, would they feel guilty enough to let you use their washers? On our way home, if we have any dirty dipes, we just stuff them in the suitcase in a wet bag or in the duffle we carry-on. I don't really care about what some airline worker guy thinks of my smelly diapers.
Ds gets horrible rashes from DD's and I wouldn't put one on him for nothin'.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
When we flew to New York (I am on the West Coast) and stayed in a hotel, I used disposables. The main reason was that I couldn't handle packing yet another bag - we already had so much stuff!

I felt stupid after we got there though, because there was a washer/dryer right next to our room, and my first thought was that I should have just brought cloth.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, I would still bring the cloth. Maybe you can use the laundry mat, or maybe your family will decide it is not so gross....I really think they will be surprised how cool cloth is now, and not gross at all! And you will feel better if your babe is in cloth anyway.

If you have to have some dirties to bring home, oh well. Those airline employees have seen much worse! LOL!

We went on vacation a couple of weeks ago....for 8 days. I took our entire stash, and did laundry once about halfway through the vacation. I brought back a ton of dirty laundry, but it was worth it to me. We used one or two sposies during that time, and even though they were the seventh generation ones, and not too bad, it was still so weird to use a "paper" diaper, ya know? It just felt very strange. I guess we were just meant to use cloth! hehe

Hope your family changes their mind about cloth diapers.
Have fun!!

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
We went on vacation to Florida for a week last month. We brought our cloth and it was great. We were able to use Dan's grandparents washer without even asking! All I did was ask her if she could find out if our hotel had a washer and dryer or where the nearest laundry mat was and she volunteered her washer and dryer set (I was uncomfortable asking her to use theirs). So that was great, we all chatted the day away while the cloth washed! Turns out the hotel had a washer and dryer anyway so we could have washed there if we needed to.

·
Registered
566 Posts
When I flew from VA to NY last month (only for 3 days) I took cloth with me and didn't wash while I was up there. I just put the wet/dirty dipes in plastic grocery bags (doubled up & tied). There was no odor issue - but, the airline did lose that bag. We joked that we hoped they let it sit out in the sun and then search it
: .

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I travel with cloth always. No way am I going to buy sposies. I had to once, but nver again. I take a duffle and a zippered wet bag, the put that in a garbage bag and write "dirty clothes" with a sharpie (to save the poor bag inspector)
I like the idea Jen had about asking about washing places.

·
Registered
786 Posts
We always travel with cloth too. I like to take AIOs or WIOs with extra snap ins so that on the plane I do not have a lot of extra baggage. For washing I just make sure I wash right before the trip, usually the night before so that I am hauling the least amount of dirty dipes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kindmomma
I take a duffle and a zippered wet bag, the put that in a garbage bag and write "dirty clothes" with a sharpie (to save the poor bag inspector)
I love the idea of writing on the outside of the bag. If I write "dirty diapers" and they go ahead and open it anyway I really won't feel sorry for the airline employees :LOL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I took Liam to go see my biological mother over Easter holidays, and I took my cloth. She let me use her washer and dryer, and we were there for 2.5 weeks! She didn't even think twice about saying no, and she didn't even CD her daughter. But make sure no one tries to help without diligent instructions; she put dryer sheets in with his diapers TWICE *cringe* and DS got a horrible rash. Not to mention the smell of them made me want to puke. I could FEEL the coating all over them too. Make sure you bring a decent stash along though. I was silly to take only my fitteds (I think about 15) and had to wash every darn day. I was on vacation, not laundry duty! lol

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
My family doesn't necessarily get it but they still don't care if I use their washing machine. You'll never know if you don't ask.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.