Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know 1) what the foam sheets (you know, big sheets of white or green foam/cushioning in different thickness that they cut off a length for you?) at Joann's is made of and 2) if it's safe in terms of the worries about toxic offlet in your house? I seem to remember an article somewhere saying that if foam is sticking out of something or is shredding or disintegrating it could be unhealthy (not just as a choking hazard but because of what it's made of) but I don't know where I saw it or even if I'm remembering correctly. Hopefully I'm not crying wolf here? Or maybe I hope I AM wrong, because it would be nice and simple to go buy some of that foam at JA's to make a little floor reading couch for the kids, but I don't want to use it if it's not healthy. What would you use instead if you didn't use that stuff?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I bought ja's foam once it was soooo stinky that it gave me a headache, so I brought it back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can get specific "baby safe" foams. Some polyurethane foam sheets have to contain fire retardants to comply with regulations and they could be considered harsh on little ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts