Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading conflicting advice on different sites about how much Folic Acid to take each day. How do I know who is correct?

And nobody seems to mention if you needto take it for the entire pregnancy. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Folic acid helps prevent neural tube defects. The neural tube is forming during the first half of the first trimester. While folic acid is important for overall health for all people (and fetuses), it is not crucial to get high amounts after formation of the neural tube.

I am horrible at remembering to take pills, and could NOT handle green leafy vegetables in early pregnancy, but I eat folic acid fortified foods every day: most breakfast cereals and processed grain products provide ample folic acid.

After the first trimester, it's really not anything to worry about, especially if you're eating a balanced diet with lots of greens.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Anywhere from 400-600 mcg of folic acid for the first 7weeks of pregnancy. Really it should be started about three months before you ttc.

If you've had a child with a neural tube defect the number of mcg's can be as much as 4,000-10,000. But, if you've never had that problem then I would say no more than 600 mcg should be plenty. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those replies.

I've forgotten a couple of times to take the folic acid and wondered how long I have to be vigilent for. The one day so far when I seriously was fed up with being pregnant was caused with frustration at having to be sooooo responsible with what I eat.

Has anyone got links to any studies that say why they believe whatever amount is the correct amount?

The info I am getting ranges from 400 - 900 mcgs a day, which seems a huge range.

Cheers

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't have any links to give you, but if you go on the internet and do a search of folic acid and fetal developement it will tell you. All the pregnancy books I've read, including one that the Mayo Clinic puts out say when you aren't pregnant you need 400 mcg per day and to increase it to 600mcg daily once you've conceived. But like I said earlier, if you've already had a babe with neural tube defects, it's usually an amount dictated by your doctor and it's in the thousands.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeosMama
Folic acid helps prevent neural tube defects. The neural tube is forming during the first half of the first trimester. While folic acid is important for overall health for all people (and fetuses), it is not crucial to get high amounts after formation of the neural tube.

Hey, thanks! I'd stopped taking folic acid/prenatals because of constipation at 20 weeks and was feeling guilty about the folate (not too guilty, I eat lots of veggies and beans).. But now I don't need to any more. I took a prenatal for 6 months before conceiving, so it looks like we are all set!

Wahoo!
Cara

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that Rachel. Do you know whether the first 7 weeks means from the date of conception or from the date of my last period?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts