Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the obvious flu shot for an egg allergic kid, what vaccines are you skipping for your food allergic kid?

I saw a post on the internet talking about the ingredients in vaccines and saw the animal products in them and became concerned.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/parenting-is...eneral/364059/

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Well, I wasn't planning on vaxing before I had dd. But given the extent of her food allergies, I would definitely not vax now even if I had wanted to--I just don't think it's a good idea to artificially stimulate the immune system of a child who already has immunological issue and my ped is very insistent that one of the ways to help her outgrow her allergies is to avoid chemicals, heavy metals, preservatives, etc. (natural foods, no chemical cleaners in the home, etc.).

The MMR is also grown on egg culture. But most docs won't tell you that. Our allergy doc said we should "consult with our ped" about the flu vaccine b/c it's grown on egg culture--but nary a peep about the MMR.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I've gotten conflicting information on MMR, but the new proquad vaccine (MMR + chicken pox) is contraindicated for egg allergic individuals.

Some vaccines have gelatin and neomycin in them, which may be issues for people with pork, beef or antibiotic allergies.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
We've not given any vaccines since 4 months. My dd's allergies span from vegetables, to pork, to grains, to nuts.

our allergist was going to test our daughter to determine what they think she might have reacted to... and upon calling the drug company that produced the vaccine, and giving them the lot numbers on the vaccine, they were unable to tell her the complete ingredient list.
: That pretty much sealed the deal for me that we won't be doing any.... for quite a while, if ever. If they can't tell me definitively what is in them, they don't go in her

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
We've not given any vaccines since 4 months. My dd's allergies span from vegetables, to pork, to grains, to nuts.

our allergist was going to test our daughter to determine what they think she might have reacted to... and upon calling the drug company that produced the vaccine, and giving them the lot numbers on the vaccine, they were unable to tell her the complete ingredient list.
: That pretty much sealed the deal for me that we won't be doing any.... for quite a while, if ever. If they can't tell me definitively what is in them, they don't go in her

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very scary wtf!
:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.