Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rooting around in the Health and Healing forum, and many foods were mentioned as being good to eat when sick or to prevent illness. For example:

Chicken broth
Shitake broth (how do you make this?)
Miso
Probiotic foods like kefir and yogurt
Fermented foods

So I was wondering, what foods do you keep on hand or prepare for medicinal purposes? What kinds of foods do you regularly incorporate into your diet for health reasons or to boost the immune system? I figure we're entering cold/flu season and we can use all the help we can get over here!

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
:

I'm trying to think if I can be of any help... I know yogurt is good for yeast infections and cranberry/blueberry helps prevent UTIs. And garlic is an antifungal. Also, www.whfoods.org has a TON of info and it's a really cool site in general.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
: Great question!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, whoMe! I forgot about the cranberry uti thing.

Let me rephrase the question a bit . . . are there any foods or methods of cooking that you use primarily b/c it's healthful in some way. I do the following:

make my own granola so I can control the sugar content
make my own yogurt with new yogourmet starter each time so it's populated with the best and most plentiful bacteria critters (whatever those things are called)
soak all of my grains and beans so they're easier to digest and more healthful
add kale and ground flax to many foods for the vitamins and omega 3s
add fresh garlic to finished foods b/c cooking it destroys the antioxidant properties
try to incorporate miso into my diet b/c it's supposed to reduce incidence of breast cancer (it runs in my family)
use herbs for medicinal purposes (though I need to learn much more about it)--simple stuff like camomile for nighttime, valerian for sleep, eucalyptus for bath/humidifier, lavender for bath, green tea for antioxident properties, rooibos for healthfulness, fennel for gas in ds, catnip for calming/gas

Things I think about doing:

Adding in CLO, but I keep hearing contradictory info about health benefits vs. mercury content
Using more flax oil, but wondering about rancidity problem
using shitake mushrooms for colds/flu but don't know how to make it
sprouting grains for bread but can't seem to get them to turn out right
trying chinese teas for medical problems--like yin chiao for colds/flu

I'm wondering what kinds of things all of you do, or if your research contradicts any of the things I'm doing.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Food IS medicine!
What's that saying? "Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food". It's the first line of defense in disease prevention. That's why nutrition is SOO SOOOO important! I have a link around here somewhere...

http://www.naturalways.com/medValFd.htm

As for what I personally do, I try to cook whole foods as much as possible, and I regularly drink nettles and RRL for the extra vitamins and other healing properties.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Kelly,

I do many of the things you have listed. Beyond those, we use a lot of bone broth -- 5 items or more a week with it (including left-overs). I try to eat liver 2x week
I don't like it but it does help me feel better.

Amanda

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We eat a lot of bone broths, at least 4 times a week in a soup or cooked with grains. That's more to see if it helps dh with his joints.

Ginger - I always keep fresh ginger on hand. For times like now when I'm coming down with a sore throat and cough. I take a piece as big as my thumb and slice it up in about 3 cups of water and simmer on the stove. I sweeten with some honey and drink it cup after cup until I'm feeling better. It usually takes a day or two. It also warms my throat and feels great when it's sore.

Lemon/oranges - for the vitamin C when I'm feeling ill.

Soup made with bone broths and lots of vegetables.

Herbs to support our body. I like echinachia. I also find the Cherry Bark blend from HFK to be very effective for coughs. It really works great with my kids.

I believe you make mushroom broth from dried mushrooms. Take boiling water and pour it over the mushrooms and let sit for awhile. It makes a great and flavorful broth. Very good in place of vegetable stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.