Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this might be silly but bear with me. I just want other peoples opinions or articles on this! :)

I'm only 7 weeks (ish) but I haven't really had any food aversions or real cravings either. I noticed that the smell of popcorn worsens my night sickness (no mornings for me, only before bed) but not so bad that I wouldn't steal a couple kernels.

I am wondering if maybe food cravings/aversions come later or if maybe it's all in my head because I'm told that's what happens when pregnant? What do you all say?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I had intense cravings and horrible aversions with my first. Just the thought of eggs, curry chicken (one of my favorites,) or any store bought pasta sauces had me gagging. I also had a MEAN sweet tooth. Gained 40 lbs with that one!

Second time I didn't have any aversions, thankfully, but I had mad cravings for meat and sour green apples. Didn't really want anything to do with sweets. I thought for sure that meant BOY, since it was so different from my first, but I was wrong! Only gained about 25lbs with that one.

This time I really haven't had either cravings or aversions, but I'm just 8 weeks pregnant so maybe they'll kick in soon. Hope not, though! I have had plenty of nausea and threw up for the first time ever last night (I wasn't a puker with my first two, just constant nausea) so I hope that doesn't keep happening. I hate throwing up. I'm starting this pregnancy about 5 to 7 lbs above my normal pre-preg weight, so hopefully I can keep it in check.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm wondering is if maybe it will come later? This is my first so I have no previous experiences to go on. So far, I have been really enjoying hard boiled eggs as a protein boost but nothing else has really changed. I have always had a rather intense sweet tooth (though I will say I usually don't indulge, but recently... welllllll... :p ) I haven't puked (yet, fingers crossed). I mean, who LIKES puking??? But I have felt pretty nauseated. It's almost like nauseated isn't the right word, more like stomach in my throat. Like, my throat feels tight, but I've been able to eat and drink through it so I pay it little attention.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Welp, tried eating pasta with tomato sauce and orange juice, but both the sauce and oj tasted ridiculously sour and just gross, so I ended up just having plain pasta with bald little turkey meatballs and water. But at least I didn't throw up!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My first pregnancy my food cravings and aversion were closer to the beginning of the second trimester. I didn't have a ton of food aversions, but they can come on suddenly. We cooked shrimp for dinner once and I was fine, but then my husband took the lid off the pan. As soon as I smelled it, I told him to get it out of the house. It was so awful, but that is the only time I really had a strong aversion to food. Cravings were another story. Luckily, I craved healthy stuff like grapes and watermelon. I was buying 6-8 lbs of grapes a week during my second trimester, which was in the middle of winter, so it wasn't a cheap craving :)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I've had strong aversions to potent smells this time and in the beginning with my other two. I really didn't have cravings until the last half. With my son I wanted shrimp and I wanted spicy. We were so broke so shrimp was out of the question except for once at my birthday when DH took me to Red Lobster and they had all-you-can-eat shrimp and the waiter must have had kids or good exposure to pregnant women because after the first couple rounds he would deliver my scampi and ask what type I'd like next so I wouldn't have to waste anyone's time by having him come back. It was an obscene amount of shrimp and that craving was only satisfied for a couple days LOL

With my daughter I wanted everything to be sour. I had sour candy, lemon everything, and frozen grapes- a pleasure I was denied with my first due to GD...I would have sprinkled chili powder on them.

Actually, now that I think about it, I ate about a quart of dill pickles the other day. I haven't wanted them since but at the time it seemed like that was all I was going to eat for the next few months.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
My aunt tells a story about wanting thanksgiving turkey while she was pregnant. My uncle was an amazing man so he got to work. It started cooking and the smell made her so sick that she couldn't eat any :lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
For my first, I could only eat bananas and peanut butter and carrots and ranch during the first trimester. I can't handle anything this time around but apples. I've tried carrots a few times and I get the worst heartburn! I've been taking some protein drinks and vitamins, just to get something in me. I lost over 15 lbs last time. I hope not to have that happen again. Just the thought of cooking smells makes me nauseous. It's brutal!
All I want to eat is cake and icing. But I won't do that to myself either, lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
With my last one the sickness as well as cravings and aversions came somewhere in the 8-10 week range. I had aversion to anything with onions or tomatoes, and eggs. Or ANYTHING with a strong or weird smell. I had cravings for strawberries (would eat a container in one sitting) and chicken nuggets (tried to resist this one, but I figured any food was better than none at that point).

On a side note my super sense of smell also developed an aversion to my dog, the poor thing. And to my BED SHEETS, which I felt like I had to wash every week at least. Also got some hand-me-down baby clothes that I went to great lengths to cleanse of the smell of smoke that no one else could detect on them.

I am seven weeks now and so far nothing yet this time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost week 8 and still nothing. Hahaha. The only thing I've noticed that is different, diet wise, is that one moment I'll go from being totally fine and then the next minute I skip over feeling peckish, hungry or starving and go right to that "I'm-so-Hungry-I-Feel-Sick" feeling. But as soon as I eat something, even if it's just a single hard boiled egg or a banana, I'm good. So, I guess I've been reaching for more ready to eat foods recently but only because I'll suddenly be dying of hunger. :p

·
Registered
217 Posts
Love the shrimp story little Llama! It's funny to hear everyone's different cravings. With my first I couldn't go near fish and yet my second I was eating it twice a week, one of the only appealing things! I was the crazy lady at the stop light downing pickled hot peppers more than once in the past. (Having driven 20 minutes to the store solely for this, eaten half the jar in the parking lot and then unable to make it home without pulling off to finish...) I'm writing this here at 2am having just fried some bacon and onions because... I was hungry! Or rather, the little one woke me up and I realized I wasn't going to go straight back to sleep (even though she did) , I was starting to feel nauseous, and this would likely help. Lol....

So far this pregnancy I am finding it very much the case that hunger = nausea but if I can get some food fast enough, before it gets too bad, it goes away. There have been a couple times I decided I was too tired / too queasy to make or eat something and it just got worse and worse. So eat it is. I actually wonder in retrospect to what extent I didn't realize this during my first and even second pregnancies when I was much sicker - and would avoid eating because I felt so sick, and it would get even worse, and become a cycle. Every time is different, for sure, but I seem to be getting better at it, haha!

·
Registered
76 Posts
With my first (DS) I had no nausea. Nothing. With DD I had about a month when I had to keep some crackers near me through the morning, and then by the afternoon, the nausea was gone. This time, real nausea only lasted for a couple of weeks (I'm now on my 10th week) and it was worse when I was hungry. And then, if I ate too much, I would get nauseous. And it lasted all day...
Now it got better. Nausea is mostly gone, but I'm frequently hungry. And I find myself enjoying food so much more than when not pregnant. Really, it's a great pleasure to eat. It happened in my other pregnancies too.
About the cravings and aversions, I don't usually have any. I tend to eat whatever I can find :grin: But with DS I ate a lot of tomato salad, which I hated before, and DD got me to like figs (that I hated before too). And now I still like them :laugh: So, I'm waiting to know what his pregnancy will make me like.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can't stomach apples nor bread or anything that leaves a flavor on my throat. I have been cravin burritos, but can eat just half of it. This is my worst pregnancy so far, I'm sleepy and nauseaus all the time!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Oh yes, the good ol' so-hungry-I-might-puke. DH has been so understanding and knows that if I'm that hungry under normal circumstances, I'm not to be relied upon for food choices. He sees me just staring into the fridge :nono02 and knows to just take action, I'm beyond logic.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm in the "constantly nauseated" part of pregnancy. I thought I was 9 weeks along but yesterday's ultrasound has me a week behind that, so more weeks of nausea ahead of me! ...yay... I suddenly can't stomach peanut butter, which I usually love, but other than that most food SOUNDS appealing, until it's in front of me. And when I can eat I have to eat really slowly and only a little bit at a time or I feel pukey again. Boo.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
DH is bringing home pizza right now :lol

I simply texted him "I'm hangry and uncomfortable" and he called to see what toppings I want. I've got a gem, ladies!

Although, like you kitteh, I'm only going to be able to eat a little and then I'll be mad because I'll want more. I'm hopeless.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was having an emotional day yesterday because for the first time I had that "I WANT TO EAT ALL OF THE THINGS BUT KEEP IT AWAY FROM ME I'M GONNA BE SICK" feeling ALL DAY so my SO brought me home coffee flavored icecream (my favorite) and gave me a long hug. :love

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been nauseauted for almost three weeks, Dh is not great at interpreting or rather guessing my "hangry" moments. Poor thing he is constantly asking me what I want to eat, and the last thing I want to think when I'm hungry is what I want. I can hardly stomach bread or anything with a strong flavor. I need flavorless proteins ha ha.
I'm really looking foward to week 12!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have been nauseauted for almost three weeks, Dh is not great at interpreting or rather guessing my "hangry" moments. Poor thing he is constantly asking me what I want to eat, and the last thing I want to think when I'm hungry is what I want. I can hardly stomach bread or anything with a strong flavor. I need flavorless proteins ha ha.
Try a very mild/plain hummus if the texture allows. There are little lunch box sized individual serving cup things (is that enough adjectives?) if you aren't sure you'd use up a whole tub or your can take them and a few chips or crackers with you on the go.

·
Registered
244 Posts
@alada I recommend almonds! They have a pretty plain taste and not a lot of odor, so I do fine with them when pregnant. And they have protein and healthy fats in them. They really helped with my nausea. And if you can stomach it try some prenatal vitamins. I also have pretty much been living off of green smoothies, because drinking juice seems easier than eating food.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts