Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually I can all my extra tomatoes, but this summer I'm pregnant, and standing in a hot steamy kitchen is the last thing I feel like doing! Also, I grew mostly smallish Roma tomatoes this year, and peeling them all would be a real pain. So I'm thinking of getting a food dehydrator and making sun(less) dried tomatoes.

Any suggestions? Where can I get a good deal on one? How much can I expect to spend? What's a good brand? Do you store the dried toms in ziploc bags or jars or what? In the freezer?

TIA!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I have a $20 magic chef one. It is cheap and can be found at most dept stores.

IT dries tomatoes just fine.

I store mine in glass jars in the pantry.

You can cover them with olive oil and keep them as well.

What I did when I was pregnant was to blanch and peel them. Then I squished them in my hands to break them up and just put the pulp in freezer bags. Then I threw them in the freezer. Now I am using those bags in chili and soup. It did not take long at all and was easier for me than slicing all of them and waiting till they dried.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I got one from Wal-mart. It has a fan and drys faster than the old one, which didn't haven't a fan. It was about $30.

I dry lots of tomatoes. The I mix a big handful of dried tomato slice, (like 7 or 8), 2 cloves of garlic and a few tablespoons of olive oil in a blender til fairly sooth. Then add 7 or 8 walnut meats, blend some more, add parmesean or Romano. Super on pasta or pizza! And very quick, no cooking!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.