Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a little trouble with meals and food lately. My DD is 28 months now and has gotten into the habit of not eating dinner with us, and then wanting to snack later on. We've never ever forced her to eat before or even gotten overly involved in it like some other parents, so I'm at a loss. For example a lot of parents will spoon feed their kid or say, two more bites, etc. but we've done baby led feeding all along, which has worked well. She hasn't had to be spoon fed, she usually eats- not much mind you, but enough for her since she still breastfeeds a lot.

But now she will not touch her dinner, she'll just move it around on her plate and then say she's done... but then half an hour later she is asking for snacks. I'm fine with her snacking but I put effort into making a healthy meal and I'd like her to eat some of it- besides, I want her to realize that it's a waste of food if she doesn't eat her dinner. And she can't just have snacks all the time- I mean the snacks will be something like fruit or yogurt but I'd like her to actually have a meal!

I've thought about putting her plate in the fridge and heating it up later but first of all we don't have a microwave and have no room for one, second of all DP doesnt like that idea because he says dinner should be a family time and I sort of agree with that.. I'd like us all to eat together but at the same time, I don't want to force her to eat when she's not hungry you know?

And there's still the whole issue of wasting food- lots of times she will go into the fridge, get something out and then just not eat it. I don't know if she's just bored or messing with us or she's just confused and doesn't realize she's not hungry? But it's getting on my nerves- I mean for some things like yogurt I can just cover it back up and put it in the fridge but sometimes she will ask for things like a bowl of cereal and then not touch it, or ask for me to open an orange and then not eat it!! Ahh it's driving me nuts!

Ideas?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
DS has done the same thing a lot lately. I prepare dinner for the both of us (pretty much putting pre-cooked leftovers on a plate and nuking) and tell him it's dinner, but he is not hungry and later will ask to eat (usually for a sweet treat!).

I will usually put plastic wrap over his plate and save it, but it doesn't mean it's any more appealing to him the second time around. I will offer him fairly healthy food choices if he doesn't want original dinner (yogurt, eggs/cheese, bread, veggie). But normally all he wants is treats

I figured since I cannot force him to eat then I can't force him to sit and eat dinner the same time I do, but at the same time I hate his eating schedule getting off-kilter. Especially since it has made his bedtime later (he will ask for food just as I'm about to bring him upstairs for bedtime).

So, I don't know if there is a whole lot we can do about it and hopefully it's something that will get better as they get older with a longer attention span.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sounds like a phase to me. It's unreal how many phases of eating we've gone through with our two daughters, and the oldest is only 3!

If she didn't want to eat her dinner, I would make her sit at the table with us while we ate and have family time. I would put her plate in the fridge, and when she asked for a snack, she can have her cold dinner. (My kids eat almost everything cold - starting with formula and babyfood and even now, half of their food doesn't get eaten until well after it's been served). If she doesn't like the food cold, she'll have motivation to eat it while it's warm! But I wouldn't give her snacks if she didn't eat her dinner.

One thing we went through with my oldest was a milk problem. She is a total milk junkie, and if we give her a cup of milk at dinner, she drinks it all and then is too full to eat. So we wait until she's at least halfway through her dinner before giving her milk. DD#2, on the other hand, won't eat her dinner at all without a drink - she's like me - so we just have to work it out two different ways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.