Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 21 months old. She's usually been a great eater, eating at the table with us in her highchair or booster. But lately she's been refusing to sit and eat dinner with the family.<br><br>
I'll give her a warning that it's almost time to eat, and she'll scream "No!" and run. If I pick her up, she'll arch her back. She won't sit on my lap to eat, or daddy's lap, or a 'big' chair. She'll usually try to get me to nurse her. I'll tell her "Mommy's eating right now. I will nurse you after we eat", at which point she continues hysterics.<br><br>
I do not want to be a food police who insists that she sit down with us at every mealtime, although it's a rule with the older boys to be present when we eat dinner together - that's a time when we connect as a family. But she's so young, and I know her food needs are different than ours. Do I just let her play (or scream, as usually happens) while the rest of the family eat? Do I feed her her dinner as she plays outside, coming up to me for bites here and there?<br><br>
I want to respect her needs for food, but I also want to teach her good eating habits. When she eats at the table with us, she definately eats more veggies and fruits because she sees us eating them.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, she is getting her molars! I didn't know if that would explain her refusal to be at the table.<br><br>
Chi, how did you handle the nursing only? It drives me bonkers when she wants to nurse all the time, and my body isn't producing that much milk. I'm getting touched out.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I don't insist DD sit at the table with us if she doesn't want to, but she has to stay in the dining room. She can sit in her chair or on the floor with a quiet toy.<br><br>
Usually just being in the same room as the rest of us eating and being able to smell the food is enough for her to realize she's hungry and voluntarily eat dinner. If she goes the entire dinner without wanting to eat, then I know she really isn't hungry at all. She's 3, btw, but I've been doing this since she was about 18 mos or so.

·
Registered
876 Posts
One of my twins would do this too. I never made either one of them eat or sit if they didn't want to. Usually, once he saw us all sitting down and enjoying dinner he would come running to get in his seat. Sometimes he'd just throw a fit because no one would pay attention to him while we were all eating. I'd just let him scream and he'd end up eating dinner by himself when he was done having his tantrum. Neither one likes to eat by himself so the dinner tantrums ended pretty quickly.

·
Registered
557 Posts
jjawm,<br>
The mega-nursing only lasted a few days, I mostly read a horribly trashy romance novel (but I only have 1 kiddo so... )<br>
I've found ds is happy at table if hungry but if he's not into eating he doesn't really get it. Maybe you could try letting LO color or play with a small toy while you eat?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts