Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a spinoff from the thread about being offered non-veggie foods. I learned that I can't eat marshmallows (not that I do anyway) and that Caesar salad dressing has anchovy paste in it. So let's make a list of foods you used to think were safe for vegetarians/vegans, but really have animal products in them.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why sugar?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
During the final purification process, cane sugar is filtered through activated carbon (charcoal) which may be of animal, vegetable, or mineral origin.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Quote:
During the final purification process, cane sugar is filtered through activated carbon (charcoal) which may be of animal, vegetable, or mineral origin.
This is true for white, processed sugar. It is also true for bleached white flour. But if you use a natural sugar, they may not use this process (we use Florida Crystals, no animal products used)

hmmmm, jell-o. some yogurts use gelatin. many vitamins/ supplements use gelatin as well (yuck).

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got one to freak you out just check out the Caring Consumber's list of defenent and possible animal ingredients and their alternatives here
The red dye is called carmine/carminic acid/cochineal 70,000 beetles are crushed to death to make just one pound of dye. Sad when not only is red dye unnecessary but, also could easily be replaced with much more humane alternatives.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathryn
Wow. I'm so shocked! Why not mushrooms?
marshmallows my dear

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
: thanks for the linkies, ladies

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
marshmallows my dear

: Pregnancy brain.
I was seriously freaking out about that. I love mushrooms.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I"m probably the only one at MDC who use to eat McDonalds fries. I knew they were cooked in veg oil, how many questions do you have to ask?

I know they agreed to take the animal products out, but last I heard they quietly announced that they couldn't make the deadline. That was a couple years ago, I never heard anymore about it.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marleymama
I was shocked to find out what rennet is in cheese...gross!
I am afraid to ask, but what is it?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's from the stomach lining of calves. It helps them digest their food and it helps turn milk into cheese.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts