Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I mentioned to my husband a while back that the idea of a Foodsaver was cool, but I was shocked at the price. He said we didn't need it, just to squeeze air out of the freezer bags was enough. Anyway, he went ahead and bought me the low-end model for XMas and "permission" to upgrade if wanted or to get something else. . . leaving me with many questions.

1. I like to buy meat on sale and freeze it, but don't buy a ton of meat. Is it worth it for that alone? or does squeezing the air out do the trick?

2. Looking at all the different models, I see the upper ends have more settings (2, 3 and 5). Does anyone have one with multiple settings and actually use them?

3. Could you give me the Mason jar 101? I use a lot of Mason jars around here and would like to know if I would have to buy their lids to keep using my Mason jars.

4. Does anyone have a model with the antibacterial drip tray? We are generally anti- antibacterial stuff, but a drip tray sounds like a good idea.

5. Any comments on the hands free, instant stop, and full sized vaccuum channel features?

Thanking you very much

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a 2 handed full size model w/ vacuum seal and seal only settings. What I have learned:

I buy the rolls instead of the bags. That way you make it as big or small as you need. You can also reuse the bags--I turn them inside out and run them through the DW to sanitize. Make your bags slightly longer than you need if you plan to reseal them.

Hands free would be nice-- sometimes if you don't have the bag exactly seated in the vacuum channel, it takes forever.

I have sealed 2-3 chix breasts at a time so I have just enough for dinner. I would say you don't have to buy a ton of meat to make it worthwhile. I also freeze 1 lb containers of ground beef, so I don't have to deal w/ a huge brick of meat!! Squeezing the air out isn't the same!!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have just really started using my foodsaver with mason jars. You don't have to buy their lids, just use canning lids. I am in the process of putting all of our stuff in plastic bags in mason jars, like all the bulk from the coop. I am so excited.
I was wanting to get the tupperware shelf organizer containers, but I wasn't thrilled with the plastic aspect. DH actually got me going on this. Since it is warming up we have had ants coming in the house and I think getting all the food in sealed containers will help them not to stay. I have a Vac 550, it doesn't have different settings, I like it.

For the meat, I think it doesn't take much for it to be worth it. Squeezing the air out really doesn't come close. Again you can buy bulk and freeze into family portions or individual portions. It would be good if I was organized enough to make like lasanga ahead, cook, and foodsaver that, but I am not.

Oh I don't bag foodsaver shredded cheese, I ended up with a couple of cheese bricks. :LOL

·
Registered
727 Posts
we have the basic foodsaver model (at least I think it's basic, it was the one at Costco) we also buy the rolls and make bags the size we need...

ziploc bags with the air squeezed out does not work as well... I'm not sure what it is about the bag but ziplocs don't protect as well. I do alot of batch cooking and we buy meat once every 4-5 months I couldn't leave meat in the ziploc bags that long and certainly not the sauces that I batch cook. They would always have ice crystals (the start of freezer burn) along the top where the zipper is... I've seen a huge improvement since we started using the foodsaver
I also like it for when I make large batches of snacks, I can store them in single serving bags for the kids. It's especially nice when we need to run out the door I can just tell my oldest to grab a bag for everyone.
I also use the mason jar attachment, I use regular mason jars (hint buy a jar funnel!) to store sugar, flour, and other grains.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We love ours as well. We buy big packadges of meat and break them up into portions we can use. It comes out very fresh! We will buy large bricks of cheese, cut them up and seal them. Into the fridge...they last a long time.
We would like to upgrade to be able to use canisters.
We've tried the marinade thing, but can't keep the juice from backing into the food saver. Any tips?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.