Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forget, are any of you also dealing with a footling breech?

As I've said elsewhere in here, we're now looking at scheduling a c-section. This is like, my worst worst vision. The thing is, even some of the most radical pro-natural childbirth folks say footling breech warrants scheduling. Just because the odds of prolapsed cord goes up to 15%.

With Maya (my first, 5.5 years ago), she was footling and I waited until I went into labor. Ignorance is bliss and I just didn't realize there were higher risks.

What's really hard is that this has been a very, very, very uncomfortable pregnancy. I just don't want the fact that I WANT IT TO BE OVER to be influencing my decisions here.

We meet with a doctor on Monday. I'm 36 weeks as of tomorrow. They like to schedule 2 weeks before term. So, it could be soon. Oh, wait!!! I've been thinking 38 weeks is full term. It's 40, isn't it?!?!?

Huh! I DO have more time! Whoa!

Anyone else in this kind of situation?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I -just- got an email from a good friend of mine who is 38 weeks. She was told a week ago that they were planning to induce her due to her GD. This morning's appointment showed baby was head up and far from ideal, so she's currently packing her hospital bag and about to head in. They're keeping her there until Thursday, when they'll do a caesarian.

She's very very emotional, as this is the last thing that she wanted and is having a hard time coping with the idea of it. She's been focusing on the negatives, so I got on the phone and reminded her of the positives. Control the things you can, and let go of those you can't.

"term" is usually 37 weeks, if I'm correct.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm in the same situation, although not as far on as you - 33 + 1. Babe has been persisitently breech since my anomaly scan at 20 weeks & has been footling since 30 weeks or so. My DD, also 5.5, was breech and I had section with her, but more because of PIH & suspected IUGR than the breech as she wasn't a footling.

I saw an OB a few weeks back because of the suspected pre-e & I'm seeing her next week at 34+4 and if still footling she will arrange to see me again at 36 weeks. If at 36 weeks, LO hasn't turned then she will schedule a section for 39 weeks.

The RCOG guidelines here are that a previous c-section rules you out of any type of breech VBAC, but this OB seems to accept that if LO is breech but coming bottom first she will let me attempt VBAC with my midwife on the understanding that I listen to the MW and go in as soon as she thinks I need to.

So, I guess we're in a similar sit, hope it turns out well for both of us. I was /am deadset against another section, but at this stage am willing to accept that I may have to.

Kez

PS interestingly this OB reckons that because my DD was a persisitent breech and this one has been so far as well that I 'just make short cords' - haven't researched that one, but it would make some kind of sense (maybe!)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I meant to ask at my last ultrasound what type of breech bub was, but kind of got overwhelmed with everything else that they were telling me. I'll ask them at my next AFI Thursday if he is still breech.

(((Hugs)))

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen footling breech homebirths. In my case, though, I'm not comfortable with it. First, I'd have to seek out a midwife who I don't know at all as this would be my first vaginal birth and most midwives around here won't deliver breech babies for a first time delivery. Add to that the increased chance of prolapsed cord (15% chance rather than 0-5%) and I know I'll do a c-section if she's footling.

It's one of the hardest things, coming to terms with this. I can't stand the notion of "being comfortable" with major surgery in this culture where people think it's a GOOD option for normal pregnancies. It helps me to be reminded that this is one of the cases where it's truly recommended by almost all reputable sources.

Before the surgery, of course, we'll check to be sure she's still truly FEET down. If it's bum, I'm going for vaginal, baby! (But I've had her feet on my cervix/colon/and bladder for so long now it's hard to believe she'll move.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
De-lurking to send you BIG hugs. I'm in the same boat, including the very uncomfortable pregnancy that I just want to end. DS1 had a prolapsed cord and he was a normal vaginal birth. That was scary enough for me, so I'm not prepared to risk it is DS2 is footling. I have an awesome obgyn who I trust completely, but I'm trying to prepare myself for the possibility that I'll have to have a c-section. Meanwhile, I'm doing everything I can to encourage this babe to move. Trouble is, he's already measuring large and seems pretty comfortable.

Hang in there! I wish you peace with whatever happens.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm crashing from another ddc, but just wondering if any of you have considered trying to turn the breeches? Like with lying inverted or pelvic tilts, or acupuncture or chiropractic? Can they do external cephalic version with a footling? Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck with your births no matter what!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have been doing inversion and will be going for webster and moxi/acupuncture if the u/s still shows him breech this week. I, personally, am not comfortable with ECV since my fluid is low and not sure if I would be either way since I'm of the camp that if they don't turn naturally on their own, there may be a reason for that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
First of all bug hugs for not getting the birth you wanted. I have PIH or Pre-e (I am never sure what to call it) I am faced with most likely being induced really soon as all my numbers are going up. I am now 33.5 weeks and really wish I could get farther so I don't have to leave the baby at the hospital. That is my biggest fear with this situation. That said I would look at it like we are so lucky that we live in an age where they have tests so we are not risking our lives. We will get to enjoy our babies just like other woman and we will do so safely. I said to my husband today I just don't want to go back to the hospital because that just means next time I am home I will have had the baby. AHHHH SCARY!

Take care mama and know you are making the right decisions for your whole family.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, all. Glad there are others of us out there.

To the sweet "crasher," yeah, lots of things I've been trying. I won't list them all (I've discussed them elsewhere here).

At this moment, though, I'm just tired of trying. I slept most of today to try and make up for all the sleep I've been missing from the discomfort of feet on my colon and cervix (electric shocks, anyone?) and head rammed into my lungs and stomach (waking up drowning in fluid/acid, anyone?).

I'm definitely not saying my discomfort is worse than anyone elses, I KNOW it's not. But, adding to that the major discomfort of the tilts and the headstands and the everything else that requires effort, I just need to reserve my energy for cleaning the house and getting ready for our new family member. No more of this trying to get her to turn. She'll turn if she wants to.

I realized today I'm really afraid of disappointing people in my life even more than I'm disappointed myself. I've got to work that through.

·
Registered
807 Posts
my DD was footling breech. i wasn't comfortable with the idea of going into labor with the risk of cord prolapse.

after my version was unsuccessful, i was so upset. i felt like i'd tried everything for NOTHING. but it wasn't for nothing. i honestly believe there is some force at work that i can't see. i had a dream the night of my version where i was in labor, and then gave birth to a stillborn baby. i woke up sobbing, and my DH and talked about it for a long time, and he said maybe it was the baby trying to tell me why she needed to come early. why she needed to come in a medical way.

i know that may sound kind of hokey, but i honestly believe that my DD, or angels, or the force
kept her stubbornly footling breech for a reason.

you can have a beautiful belly birth. my DD was nursing within 30 minutes of being born, and i have nothing but good memories of her birth.

try to make peace with your medically necessary c-section, in whatever way you can. negative thoughts will have a negative impact on your birth. many
s to you mama!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am in a similar place too. I'm 36.5 weeks now, baby has been breech since at least 32. I go in tomorrow to find out whether any of the inversions, webster, etc, has helped the baby change positions. Then, if he is still breech, I guess it's a more detailed ultrasound then External Version attempt.

For a while, I thought his position had changed, but last night I felt hiccups up high and kicks down low... After two vaginal births, one completely drug-free and intervention-free, it's so discouraging to think of a surgical birth, but I'm coming to terms with the idea slowly. I keep thinking, like PP mentioned, that maybe my baby has chosen this position because there is a reason for it; if that is the case, I hope they can find the reason on the ultrasound, and I'll stop trying to make the baby go head down.

I still hold out hope that the ultrasound won't show anything worrisome and that the ECV will be successful, but in general, I feel better about the whole thing now, a bit more at peace about it.

BTW, no OB in our entire region will attempt even a frank breech birth around here...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SereneBabe View Post
Thanks, all. Glad there are others of us out there.

To the sweet "crasher," yeah, lots of things I've been trying. I won't list them all (I've discussed them elsewhere here).

At this moment, though, I'm just tired of trying. I slept most of today to try and make up for all the sleep I've been missing from the discomfort of feet on my colon and cervix (electric shocks, anyone?) and head rammed into my lungs and stomach (waking up drowning in fluid/acid, anyone?).

I'm definitely not saying my discomfort is worse than anyone elses, I KNOW it's not. But, adding to that the major discomfort of the tilts and the headstands and the everything else that requires effort, I just need to reserve my energy for cleaning the house and getting ready for our new family member. No more of this trying to get her to turn. She'll turn if she wants to.

I realized today I'm really afraid of disappointing people in my life even more than I'm disappointed myself. I've got to work that through.
I so understand. I was telling DH that the other day b/c I've been worrying, positioning, doing this stuff for several weeks before we even found out he was indeed breech. And now this with multiple times a day inversion, being sure posture is perfect, doing the birth ball, submerging as much as I can in water, etc., etc. I'm not physically exhausted fro these things, but they are leaving me emotionally exhausted. I wake multiple times in the middle of the night feeling him move and trying to figure out what position he is in.

Some days I just want to say screw this, I am tired, he's going to do what he's going to do and just let whatever will be, be.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Some days I just want to say screw this, I am tired, he's going to do what he's going to do and just let whatever will be, be.
That's where I've arrived as of today. I can't keep this up. I only have so much physical and emotional energy. I need to rest and settle into focusing on making a home for our new baby. She'll turn if she's going to.

That said, I'm glad I've been trying for the past few weeks even if part of me says "you didn't try enough!" I mostly know what will be will be...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SereneBabe View Post
That's where I've arrived as of today. I can't keep this up. I only have so much physical and emotional energy. I need to rest and settle into focusing on making a home for our new baby. She'll turn if she's going to.

That said, I'm glad I've been trying for the past few weeks even if part of me says "you didn't try enough!" I mostly know what will be will be...
I'm sorry she hasn't turned yet. You have time to prepare yourself emotionally for a C/S. EFT (emotional freedom technique) did wonders for me in accepting DS's birth that didn't go as planned. Go easy on yourself, there are so many wonderful things that you can control surrounding the birth.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's so strange how I think *I* can prepare emotionally, but I am really caught up with those around me. Afraid of feeling like i need to defend this situation even though everyone (save maybe one person, and I barely know her) understand this is actually, legitimately, one of those times when a c-section is warranted. Maybe I haven't fully accepted it or something.

I think that must be it. I want to be in this DDC talking about my home birth. Talking about the questions I still have about that process, etc.

Okay. I'm going to work on it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Me, too, honey. Me, too. As much as I tell everyone else, a medically neccesary induction or c-section is nothing to be ashamed of...dangit, that's not what I wanted or intended for myself! :mad

I always tell DH that each of our children born to us are here to teach us something different. I'm wondering if this guy just has a whole different lesson to teach me. I just hope I can come to terms with it and work through it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
hi ladies! i am totally feeling all of you right now. i thought my lil' one was head-down, even though the midwife said last month otherwise. now, i am convinced that i feel a big head under my ribs. yesterday, i started feeling kicks in my pelvis
i do still feel hiccups down low and on the side though. what worries me is that i think she may be settled into this position to stay. on the other hand, i'd like to think she has been flip-flopping in there the last week or so. it is hard to tell if she has been flipping upside down or just switching sides. all i know is that the very firm bulge between my ribs ballots when gently pressed. also, my fundus is very very tender if anything bumps it.

after 1 cesarean and then a hbac...i am very nervous about having to schedule a cesarean. just not sure a breech homebirth would be the right thing for me....

so. here's to accepting whatever our babes need. right?!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Im in the same position. 34 weeks and still breech. I have friends whose babies turned at 37 weeks so Im hoping. This morning I feel the head under my ribs just grinding away. oh and yes the feet on the bladder and cervix. Electric shocks is a great way to put it. I keep feeling like she is trying to turn but can't for some reason. I don't know. Im just trying to be at peace with whatever happens.

My weird thing is that if I do have to have a c section, I feel like I will be depriving and taking away from my husband the joy of the natural birth experience. This baby will be his first and I feel bad about it possibly being a c section. He has told me Im ridiculous and either way will still be an amazing experience for him but yeah... lots of issues associated with a possible c section I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.