Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Mommas, doing a little investigating on sensory integration/life experiences and tactile sensitivities. Finding it interesting that those kids/teens/adults/people who were born with cords wrapped around their necks, don't like turtle necks. No I don't have too much time on my hands,
Just wanted a reaction from a bit bigger population, than my immediate friends. How about you and your kids?

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Hmmm... all of my children had the cord around their necks, DD #1 has no issues with turtle necks, DD #2 doesn't particularly care for them and DS doesn't have a problem with them either.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I was a C-section baby because of the cord.
I used to like turtle necks, but recently (like that past 2 years) they have been really starting to bother me. In fact, just this year I said to myself I am going to get rid of every turtleneck I own, it makes me feel like I am suffocating! I hardly ever wear them anymore.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
DD was DX with SID about a year ago, she was not cord wrapped. I've never put a turtle neck on her
( I hate them my self) she likes her clothing as seamless as possible (especally socks) and snug fitting she can't have shirts that ride up if she put her arms up 100% cotton only. Huge food issues...

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Hmm.. well ds was born with the cord wrapped around his neck, and has been diagnosed with SID.

He likes turtlenecks, and would wear them even before we started OT.

By the way, I'm sure his sensory issues are genetic, not related to the cord. You can see them running up and down our family trees!

·
Registered
574 Posts
DD had the cord around her neck and she hates turtlenecks. She has other sensory issues as well, especially with light and sound. She does ok with food. But clothes that are in the least bit scratchy--forget it. Shoes and socks could be banned from the earth and she'd be loving it.

Interesting thread.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I was born with the cord around my neck and have always disliked turtlenecks (as a kid I hated any shirt that was anywhere near my neck). Over the last few years I have been able to wear mock turtlenecks for a few hours before I start feeling like I am choking.

Neither of my children were born with the cord around their necks and they both love turtlenecks.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Ds has mild sensory issues and did not have the cord wrapped around his neck. He can't tolerate turtlenecks or even shirts with collars. Or anything scratchy, tags and seams bother him. So do the seams on his socks.
He also doesn't like his hands to be sticky.

I also have sensory issues with clothing, no turtlenecks, no wool!
I did not have any issues with the cord being wrapped either.
Ds and I both sensitive to light and loud noises as well.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
dd has moderate SID and no cord issue. As long as the turtleneck can slide easily over her head, she can wear them. (same for all shirts, actually) Maybe she has a wierd shaped head, as I have to slide most things over the crown of her head, I can't just pull shirts straight down.

I was never told I had a cord problem. I've never had a sensory issue with turtlenecks, but now that I'm "fluffy" I don't like how I look in them (double chin issues).

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
My son was born via c-section with his cord wrapped tightly over his shoulder, like a seatbelt.

He is SID, and does not mind turtlenecks. He'll wear pretty much anything .. but don't get me started on food aversions!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if you could go a little further with this and see if those children with the cords around their necks who do not like turtlenecks needed resuscitation?

I bring it up because I was a c-sec baby for footling breech and cord prolapse - so my cord was NOT around my neck - and absolutely cannot stand a turtleneck or tight collar or scarf or anyone touching my neck. I have panic attacks practically because I think I am suffocating. I did need some pretty intensive resuscitation though!

In a neonatal CPR class I took for midwives it was brought up that often the resus is done overeagerly (meaning, they did not try less invasive procedures first) or very forcefully (especially if needing intubation) and that it can have lasting effects on a baby, including inhibiting or making breastfeeding challenging because the baby has a negative association with their mouths/throats. I remember the point of that was to illustrate the importance of trying the least invasive first and moving up the scale as appropriate to minimize the possible effects on baby. But I do think maybe it is related to the turtleneck thing too?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
my dd, no cord issues of any kind will not/never/everever wear a turtleneck.
2 years in a row all the very lovely turtlenecks I've gotten have never been worn, I've been directed to not ever get anymore.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I had my cord wrapped a few times (with knots!) and usually wear v-necks, though I went through a phase of mock-turtlenecks being ok.

Because I dislike turtlenecks so much (and because we live in Los Angeles) I've never put one on my kids so I don't know how they'd like them (neither had cord issues)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts