Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did you call a MW? Did/do you know who you are using already? We are blessed here in Minnesota to have a TON of midwifes, so I am sure I will find one, but how long do I have to look around? Do I want to make sure I have one by no later than 10-12 weeks or something like that?
This is my 3rd baby, but first homebirth, so thanks for any advice.
gabby

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I just happened to be at my midwife's house a couple of days after a + test as she was having a labor day party for all her former clients. So I told her then. Otherwise I'd just now be getting around to calling her.

It really depends. In some areas some midwives fill up. It's never been a problem here that I've heard of.

With dd I switched at 30 weeks and there were several midwives who would have taken me at that time.

-Angela

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
This is my first time homebirthing, so I didn't have an established midwife already. I was pretty sure who I wanted to use, but still wanted to "interview" her to make sure we were a good fit. So I went ahead and called her when I was around 6 weeks, so we could meet for that. She actually encouraged me to meet with her soon, and I think that was in part so I could have a support person in place in case I miscarried. Even before we met, she said I could call her anytime, day or night. We met early this past week (I'm 8 weeks now), and I absolutely loved her and hired her on the spot. She said she usually does her first prenatal around 10-12 weeks, but she was pretty loosey-goosey about it, and said we could wait longer if I wanted. (We scheduled it for when I'm 10.5 weeks, simply because that was the date that worked best for both of our schedules.)

FWIW, we aren't doing any tests, ultrasounds, and won't be using a doppler either. I think she said the fetoscope doesn't usually start picking up heart tones until at least 18 weeks. So there won't be too much to do in the early weeks, although she did say she could palpate my uterus in the 12 week timeframe and determine if it seemed to be the proper size.

She also said she does monthly visits until, hmmm, 8 months I think? And then every other week, and then every week in the last few weeks. But there is a lot of flexibility there.

If you go to the Finding Your Tribe section on MDC for your area, I'm sure you could do a search and find threads asking for recommendations on midwives; that might be a good place for you to start. There should also be some online directories listing CPMs, etc. But I don't think it would hurt to start soon, if you don't already have someone in mind. It might take a little while to find someone you "click" with, and like Angela said, some people fill up fast.

Good luck

·
Registered
754 Posts
I called mine the day after I got my + HPT. We have a serious MW shortage here in our province so I wanted to make sure I got in with the midwives I had w/DD. Fortunately, I was able to get in with them and my first appt is at approx. 8.5 wks (I'll be 6wks tomorrow).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My first pregnancy, I found a midwife before I conceived and then called her as soon as I had a positive test (I was about 5 weeks).

Dh, dd, and I just met with a midwife today; I think we will be going with her, we both liked her and DH REALLY liked her, which is pretty big in my book! I'm about 5 weeks and I think I'm probably a little early--I just like to give myself alot of time, especially if I decided that I didn't like her and needed to talk to more people.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I called the midwife I had for DS just a few days after my BFP. I wanted to make sure I called dibs on her because I liked her so much from last time

When I told the receptionist that I wanted to call early to make sure she had a chuckle because I was only 3w3d! Nothing like planning ahead.

They gave me the option of earlier appointments but since this is my 2nd and my last was trouble free I opted to wait until I'm almost 10wks. If I have any troubles before then I can call 24/7.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I called mine Friday, since there's only one available in my area, and she only takes 2-3 births per month. Also, here in NS there's a new law coming into being that will hopefully have hb as covered by provincial health care. Crossing my fingers on that one!

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetcheeks View Post
I called mine the day after I got my + HPT. We have a serious MW shortage here in our province so I wanted to make sure I got in with the midwives I had w/DD. Fortunately, I was able to get in with them and my first appt is at approx. 8.5 wks (I'll be 6wks tomorrow).
Me too. My first appt. is at 10 weeks.

I would call sooner than later, can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
We only do prenatal apts. with out mw. My first apt isn't until 12 or 13 weeks. We have never done the doppler or ultrasounds or any of the testing, so there is not much to do in the early weeks.

I am nervous about mc this time around, though. I kinda wish I could go in earlier than that. I never even thought about it with the other two. I guess I just know this could be my last pg, no matter what happens (it was a big oops).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.