Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you packing a just in case hospital bag? And if so what are you putting in it? What about a birth plan?

On my midwife's checklist for my birth kit she asks that you have a small hospital bag packed. I kind of don't want to because I am really trying to stick with positive thinking & that just seems so negative. On the other hand I don't want to be caught w/o anything ready if I do need to suddenly head to the hospital.

What is everyone else doing about this?

·
Registered
821 Posts
We weren't planning on it at all. It's not even on my midwife's list of things to do for the same reasons you mentioned. She said all you need is a change of clothes and a carseat basically anyway which Dad can run home for or we can grab and go if it comes down to that.

Deb

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
My midwife has that on her birth supply list, a bag full of non perishable nutritious scnacks and drinks in case of a transfer. So why not toss a nighty into it as well

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm with Deb on this one-I'm not getting anything together for "just in case". If we have to for some crazy reason go to the hospital, DH can grab a few things for me. Knowing me I'll have the carseat in the car already anyway-I like to be prepared. I just don't want to give the hospital thing any energy...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yup, same as above. I figure my liklihood of going to the hospital is about the same today as it will be on birth-day as it will be 5 years from now and I'm not always going to be keeping a bag packed and ready
If anything, my hubby's more likely to go to the hospital than I am.. He works construction and does things like dirtbike and chop wood on the weekends, to me that's more likley to need a hospital trip than birthing...

I keep saying that I'm going to tour the hospital in the city near us. I may get around to doing that... I actually want to bring them information on kangaroo care and see if I can get them to think about that if they don't allow it already. So I have an agenda
And I do need to figure out if our local hospital would do an emergency section if I need it, or if I should just go ahead and go down to the bigger one. I'm obviously not all that concerned...

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Nope, not packing a bag, nor have I packed one in the past. I think it's odd that a midwife would even request that. The only way I would transfer is for a life-threatening emergency and having my nightgown and toothbrush would be the least of my concerns in that situation, kwim?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm not packing a bag. If for some highly unlikely reason I need to transfer, my DH, or mom, or someone can come collect things for me a little later.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Not packing a bag here either (and didn't with DS).
My midwife does have it on her list, but she said it was more for first time homebirthing moms.

We live about 2-3 minutes from the hospital (small town
), so anything that I would need--clothes, etc.--would be easy enough to get later.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Quote:
The only way I would transfer is for a life-threatening emergency and having my nightgown and toothbrush would be the least of my concerns in that situation, kwim?
:

DH can take care of it afterwards if an emergency like that presents itself. This is also my MW's take on it as well...

Heather

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm not packing a bag. But I am going to make a birth and postnatal care plan, just in case. This is b/c if we have a transfer, it will be for something very serious and I may not be conscious after/when the baby is born. I don't want dh to have to guess about my wishes and I don't want the hospital to just do things without asking even dh. We will have a doula with us and the midwife would go with us, but she (MW) is my attendant, not the baby's.

I will have a list of postnatal do's and don't's so that I can be sure there's no extra pressure on dh to remember or guess what I want done.

I am refusing all routine procedures for the baby, so it's not really complicated. Delayed cord clamping (min 5 minutes), no erythromycin, no Hep B shot, no vit K (unless indicated by birth trauma and immediate cord clamping - dh made this decision after researching it), no antibiotics (unless indicated by symptoms of infection) no circumcision, no bathing (dh's choice), no PKU (to be done by MW later on). What else is there? Oh, right...dh and/or doula is to be with baby at all times. No bottles, no pacifiers, no formula in any delivery method. If baby needs food, our doula (a.k.a. best friend
) is to breastfeed him/her.

I'm not sure how delayed cord clamping will work if I were to have an emergency c-sec. They can't just leave the mother wide open while they wait for the cord to stop pulsing. They don't wait for the placenta to detach, they just scoop it out immediately. So I need to think more about the vit K.

Thanks for asking this question, I hadn't written it all out yet and it feels good to have it in printed words.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeosMama
I will have a list of postnatal do's and don't's so that I can be sure there's no extra pressure on dh to remember or guess what I want done.

I am refusing all routine procedures for the baby, so it's not really complicated. Delayed cord clamping (min 5 minutes), no erythromycin, no Hep B shot, no vit K (unless indicated by birth trauma and immediate cord clamping - dh made this decision after researching it), no antibiotics (unless indicated by symptoms of infection) no circumcision, no bathing (dh's choice), no PKU (to be done by MW later on). What else is there? Oh, right...dh and/or doula is to be with baby at all times. No bottles, no pacifiers, no formula in any delivery method.
I think I will hold off on the bag until our home visit in about 3 weeks & see what she says then. if she requests I pack something I will, otherwise I jsut wont worry about it. But I guess the birth/postnatal plan is a good idea since we pretty much want decline most things as well.

Quote:
If baby needs food, our doula (a.k.a. best friend
) is to breastfeed him/her
I'd love to see the hospital staff's reaction to that

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I didn't want to have a bag packed either for fear that even having it was letting in some kind of negative energy. I did make a birth plan just in case. This is my first birth and I am hoping and praying that everything is fine and we can have our lovely little one at home!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm packing a few supplies in case of transfer. To me it doesn't feel like I'm putting out negative energy. I just like to organize and feel prepared, which actually helps me relax.

Erin, due 9/10

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I'm not packing a bag either but I will make sure the car seat is in the car securely. My dh is cr*p at putting the thing in and the only time I think we may transfer is for bleeding post partum (due to my meds) in which case I will be the one with the blue lights and he will be left at home with a newborn so I don't want him to have to freak out about how to get the seat in the car as well as everything else!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts