Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed quite a few quotes in peoples' siggies and thought we could do a more light-hearted thread sharing some favorite quotes and how they pertain to the vaccine discussion. They don't need to be overtly or pointedly vaccine-related; if fact, I think this exercise would be more interesting if they weren't.

I'll start with some wise words for dealing with online trolls.

"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." --George Bernard Shaw
When making your vaccine choices:

"Never say yes to anything you can't say no to." -Mary Rubin
From skeptic favorite Neil de Grasse Tyson:

"If you want to assert a truth, first make sure it's not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true."
If you're depending on news media to inform you about vaccines, this is for you:

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." -Mark Twain
And here's how media outlets frame the vaccine debate and push for coercive vaccination policies:

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow for lively debate within that spectrum." -Noam Chomsky
NVIC frequently likes to share this one:

"Collective fear stimulates the herd instinct and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd." -Bertrand Russell
Are there any other quote nerds out there who'd like to contribute to this thread? :grin

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
I hope no one is offended by this - Add - "I may stand alone in this conviction and am prepared to defend it."

Attachments

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
I always loved Voltaire!

Attachments

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions than by putting [the responisibility for] those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. Thomas Sowell.

as in the no fault federal vaccine court?

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is considered a revolutionary act."
- George Orwell

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
"... and the Truth shall set you free. "
- John 8:32 KJV NT.

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.
Albert Einstein

The Truth is easy enough to understand once one discovers it, the point is to discover it.
Galileo

All Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
Doctors who signed the Declaration of Independence -

Benjamin Rush, served as a high-ranking surgeon in the Continental Army;
Matthew Thornton practiced in rural New Hampshire and inoculated himself against small pox.
Josiah Bartlett was a practicing physician who became governor of New Hampshire and pushed to crack down on quackery;
Lyman Hall was originally a dishonored preacher, who became a doctor and moved to Georgia;
Oliver Wolcott was trained as a doctor, but spent most of his life in public office.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,460 Posts
Utterly irrelevant, but I love this one.

And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart, till the Devil whispered behind the leaves 'It's pretty, but is it Art?' Rudyard Kipling
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/rude.html
Make stuff anyway!

"When the healthy pursuit of self-interest and self-realization turns into self-absorption, other people can lose their intrinsic value in our eyes and become mere means to the fulfillment of our needs and desires.”
P.M. Forni, The Civility Solution: What to Do When People Are Rude
Found on Goodreads

“If you are rude, cynical, habitually-sarcastic or pessimistic, your life options are going to be very limited.”
Bryant McGill, Simple Reminders: Inspiration for Living Your Best Life

I've got to work on my sarcasm and pessimism...

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
Regarding the knuckleheads in the CA state legislature, this absolutely did happen, believe it or not ...

California passed legislation to oulaw the Confederate Flag -
http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/Confederate-flag-California-ban/2015/07/29/id/659463/
https://newsone.com/3057384/california-puts-ban-on-the-confederate-flag/

and simultaneously voted to secede from the Union ...
http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...-clipboard-near-you-1485483444-htmlstory.html

These legislators want to tell you to fully vaccinate you and your children. They do not know if they are coming or going.

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
"There is no question but that perfect sanitation has almost obliterated this disease (smallpox), and sooner or later will dispose of it entirely. Of course, when that time comes, in all probability the credit will be given to vaccination, not the real winner, sanitation."
Dr. John Tilden MD, 1851-1940

The anti-vaccinatists are those who have found some motive for scrutinizing the evidence, generally the very human motive of vaccinal injuries or fatalities in their own families or in those of their neighbours. Whatever their motive, they have scrutinized the evidence to some purpose; they have mastered nearly the whole case; they have knocked the bottom out of a grotesque superstition. The public at large cannot believe that a great profession should have been so perserveringly in the wrong.
Dr Charles Creighton MA, MD, 1889.

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
From the Medical Heretic, Dr Roberts S. Mendelsohn, MD - 1926-1988

One grandmother = two pediatricians.

If this is preventative medicine, I will take my chances with disease.

“An Obstetrician is like a fireman. They both rush in and save lives. The only difference is: the fireman didn’t start the fire.”

"My suspicion, which is shared by others in my profession, is that the nearly 10,000 SIDS deaths that occur in the United States each year are related to one or more of the vaccines that are routinely given children. The pertussis vaccine is the most likely villain, but it could also be one or more of the others."

"The greatest threat of childhood diseases lies in the dangerous and ineffectual efforts made to prevent them through mass immunization.....There is no convincing scientific evidence that mass inoculations can be credited with eliminating any childhood disease."

"Despite the tendency of doctors to call modern medicine an 'inexact science', it is more accurate to say there is practically no science in modern medicine at all. Almost everything doctors do is based on a conjecture, a guess, a clinical impression, a whim, a hope, a wish, an opinion or a belief. In short, everything they do is based on anything but solid scientific evidence. Thus, medicine is not a science at all, but a belief system. Beliefs are held by every religion, including the Religion of Modern Medicine."

In prepaid group practices where surgeons are paid a steady salary not tied to how many operations they perform, hysterectomies and tonsillectomies occur only about one-third as often as in fee-for-service situations.

"Today your child has about as much chance of contracting diphtheria as he does of being bitten by a cobra."

"Robert Mendelsohn had a rule: "You never hear about the dangers of a drug/procedure unless another drug/procedure to replace it is available."

"Modern Medicine would rather you die using its remedies than live by using what physicians call quackery".

"With the polio vaccine we are witnessing a rerun of the medical reluctance to abandon the smallpox vaccination, which remained as the only source of smallpox-related deaths for three decades after the disease had disappeared. Think of it! For thirty years kids died from smallpox vaccinations even though no longer threatened by the disease."
before 1988 he said

I can remember when if a hospital's incidence of Caesarean deliveries went above four or five percent, there was a full scale investigation. The present level is around twenty-five percent. There are no investigations at all. And in some hospitals the rate is pushing fifty percent.

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
The Media's job is to control exactly what people think.
Mika Brzezinski

Shortly, the public will be unable to reason to think for themselves. They will only be able to parrot the information they have been given on the previous night's news.
Zbigniew Brzezinski

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life down here.
No one notices your tears,
No one notices your sadness,
No one notices your pain,
But they all notice your mistakes.
I am not a protologist, but I know an @$$&º|# when I see one.
Do not cry over the Past, it is gone.
Do not stress about the Future, it has not arrived.
Live in the Present and make it beautiful.
"Imagine, if you will, living in a society that believes that injecting healthy babies with known neurotoxins and oand other toxic substances is not only a good idea, but must be mandated by law."
- paraphrasing Rod Serling.

Being a parent is like being a Rock Star!
1. Endless hours on the road with too many people in the vehicle.
2. Your job is to entertain a room full of loud writhing maniacs.
3. If you do your job well, people ask when you will do more.
4. You ask yourself daily: "Am I tripping? Or did I really just see that?"
5. Your name is always shouted, never spoken.
6. Someone is always pulling on your clothes.
7. Groupies follow you to the bathroom.
8. There is a different person in your bed every night. Sometimes even two.
9. At the end of your work day, you are sweaty and your hair is a mess.
10. Screaming is just part of the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because her trust is not on the branch but on its own wings. Always believe in yourself.
~anonymous

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
Your calmness bends serene above, my reslessness to still;
Around me flows your quickening life to nerve my faltering will:
Your presence fills my solitude; your providence turns all to Good.
~ Samuel Longfellow

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"It's not informed consent if you make me afraid to say no." -Unknown

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
I am for Truth, no matter who tells it. I am for Justice, no matter who it is for or against.
~Malcolm X

The first lesson of economics is scarcity, as there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it.

The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of politics.
~Thomas Sowell

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

Common sense is genius in homespun.
~ Voltaire

Reactions: weisser hase

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
I will not remain silent so that you may remain comfortable.
You may choose to look the other way, but you can never say that you did not know.
‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”

“Common sense is not so common.”

"Dare to think for yourself.”

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.

Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.

Cherish those who seek the truth but beware of those who find it.

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road.

"The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.”

Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time.

“What is history? The lie that everyone agrees on...”

"Now, now my good man, this is no time to be making enemies."
(Voltaire on his deathbed in response to a priest asking him that he renounce Satan.)
~Voltaire

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’
~ Dr Golden

Reactions: Deborah
1 - 20 of 550 Posts