Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a lot of moms here use cloth wipes for toilet paper. I was thinking of starting this (Will have to convince DH to use it)
Anyway, how many wipes do you have? I didnt know how many I needed to order. Also what is a good size wipe?

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Not a mom, and in the process of switching to cloth TP, but I second the PP, I wouldn't order them. I just cleaned out my closet and am using the clothes that were too worn or dirty to be given away. A pair of pants gave me 15-16 wipes, a shirt would probably give 6-8. I used a cloth diaper wipe that was 8"x8" as a pattern and find it to be a nice size for me. I have 15 wipes right now and that isn't nearly enough for me to be comfortable with just cloth yet. How many you need also depends on how often you'll be washing them, of course.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have probably 50 wipes that the kids and I use. Dh will on a rare ocassion use a cloth wipe, but he thinks it's rather gross. However, he has used them before during spells when his rump is ummmm...sore
:

I've bought all of mine. I've got various fabrics such as flannel, sherpa, velour, knit. I prefer the velour. Very soft.

We keep ours in a little wicker basket on the counter right next to the toilet. If it's pee, we just wipe. If it's poop, I wet it first. I throw it in the diaper pail. We're all done w/diapers here, but I keep the diaper pail for the wipes anyway. Then every 3 days or so I'll run them through a cold pre-wash. Then I throw in our towels and washclothes and wash on hot. I use baking soda instead of detergent and vinegar in the rinse cycle. Works great!

Take the plunge. You'll be glad you did. Now I hate it when I'm away from home and don't have my cloth!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
? for those of you who make your own (as I'm planning on doing some day when I get around to it
) Do you serge or sew around the edges, or just cut the fabric and leave it be? Or does it depend on the type of fabric?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I didn't hem the edges - just cut and go. I used this as a good excuse to rid my husband of the XL shirts in his drawer (he's a size small, or sometimes a medium), and got enough wipes from three t-shirts that I just wash with the rest of our towels about once a week. I also love cloth. Love!
katia

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
I just cut up old shirts too...works great. They don't need edging. I honestly have no idea how many I have. Enough to get through about 1/2 a week. Dh doesn't use them, but a 12 pack of tp lasts 3-4 months for him...

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I need to get back into this. This thread will act as my kick in the butt.

I started doing cloth TP awhile ago, but didn't cut up enough to last between diaper-laundry washes, and thusly fell back into using paper. Plus I've been using the cloth TP for baby wipes. I need to bite the bullet and find some more clothes to cut up!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkat
I didn't hem the edges - just cut and go. I used this as a good excuse to rid my husband of the XL shirts in his drawer (he's a size small, or sometimes a medium), and got enough wipes from three t-shirts that I just wash with the rest of our towels about once a week. I also love cloth. Love!
katia

So you don't separate them from the rest of your clothes?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I wasn't the poster who you'd quoted, but I do the same thing as she does I think. I do a pre-wash in cold w/just the wipes, but then they get thrown in the same wash as our towels and washcloths. I think hot water and the dryer kill most anything that might be harmful. But really I think a lot of it is parnoia that a person gets over once they've used cloth tp for awhile!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Okay you guys I did it. I should have plenty for wipes and TP now.

Off to put them in the dryer!

(is it sad that I get so excited about these things?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.