Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello wise ladies...
I am concurrently seeing a HB MW (private) and a CNM practice that is covered by my insurance for all the labs etc.

I've had a couple of UTI's during this PG so requested the CNM's test my urine at my regular prenatal appointments. Well, the urine came up GBS+ and the CNM's said they would address that at my next appointment (tomorrow). I told my private MW and she has me on an herbal regime to hopefully decrease the colonization in my vaginal/rectal area (I'm requesting a swab be done tomorrow to get a count per my hb MW's request). My hb MW said if the urine already has the GBS in it, it is very rare to completely be rid of the GBS in my vaginal tract.

I am doing as much research as I can...and as of now (31 weeks) am leaning towards IV antibiotics. My question is IF I decide on antibiotics during labor can my licensed home birth MW administer them? She is not a CNM and I reside in California.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have no idea of the legality of IVs at homebirths in Cali. That's a question for your midwife. Many midwives feel that IVs take birth out of the range of "normal" and shouldn't be administered at home, so it's really something you need to talk to her about.

At 31 weeks, it's early to be concerned about GBS vaginally. Although as I understand it, a colonization that would show up in urine is a very large one, so it would be a good idea to try to reduce/eliminate the colonization before birth. I would try to repeat the test at 38 weeks or so before deciding to treat yourself as GBS+.

Another suggestion I have is to contact Shonda Parker at www.birthsupplies.com or www.naturallyhealthy.com. She has a new herbal product that is designed to restore vaginal Ph and flora. I recommend it to all of my clients, regardless of GBS status, because it just works so well for everything. She can give you more information about its applications with GBS, as there is a CNM practice doing a study on using it as a GBS treatment right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.