Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pat, I hope you don't mind me asking but since so are so knowledgeable about natural, food-based probiotics/healing I am wondering if you know of any resources/information or have advice about treating SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) in a toddler (23 mos). We just started SDC and for a few days all she wanted to eat was eggs. Like a dozen a day (yikes!!!). Now we're adding SDC yogurt slowly and poops are getting better. She doesn't want meat, and even pureed carrots make her poops fermented. I think we're on the right track with the yogurt but looking for more ideas about what might work in a situation where fructose/fructans are very problematic. What is the order of which to try kefir, fermented veggies, etc etc? She does not want to take coconut oil. Is saying "no oil" when I cook her eggs. I will see if I can add back in the CLO.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
Pat, I hope you don't mind me asking but since so are so knowledgeable about natural, food-based probiotics/healing I am wondering if you know of any resources/information or have advice about treating SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) in a toddler (23 mos). We just started SDC and for a few days all she wanted to eat was eggs. Like a dozen a day (yikes!!!). Now we're adding SDC yogurt slowly and poops are getting better. She doesn't want meat, and even pureed carrots make her poops fermented. I think we're on the right track with the yogurt but looking for more ideas about what might work in a situation where fructose/fructans are very problematic. What is the order of which to try kefir, fermented veggies, etc etc? She does not want to take coconut oil. Is saying "no oil" when I cook her eggs. I will see if I can add back in the CLO.
Can you sneak stuff in a smoothie?

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!!! Yes, I can make her eat things but am just wondering if that is wise. The cooked pureed carrots make her poop fermented.

She is not a picky eater at all. She has never had any sugar/sweets/crackers/bread of any kind and doesn't have those cravings. She will eat digestive enzyme and vitamin C straight from a capsule and says "yummy." She asks for her probiotic. She seems to crave what she needs (things like chicken, egg yolks). So I have been listening to that but just very concerned about eating only eggs and yogurt.

Today she drank carrot juice on her own and some chopped chicken and I was excited about that but then she had a huge runny poo.

· Premium Member
11,160 Posts
Which bacteria are the overgrowth issue?

Many 2-3 year olds go on food binges. I wouldn't worry about a few days of binging on singular foods. And I too trust her to know what she needs. Sulfur foods can help (or overwhelm) detox pathways. Have you read at WhoMe's detox puzzle website?

check out www.eatingcultures.com to try and guess on some of your detox pathways, and figure out which nutrients will be important for you. And www.detoxpuzzle.com to identify some of your detox pathways, nutrient deficiencies/needs.

Are you juicing the carrots or is it commercial carrot juice? Home juiced has less fiber. Also, consuming fruits after slower digestible foods could cause the fermenting, per my understanding. Fruits first.

I'm not well versed on enzyme supplements (or SCD- momofmine is most informed). Is she taking those now? There are many variables which could be involved in loose stool. Part of the detox cleansing process is to expel the junk from the bowels. Dying off bacteria could cause diarrhea, also.

Pat

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellowjello View Post
Thank you for the reply!!! Yes, I can make her eat things but am just wondering if that is wise. The cooked pureed carrots make her poop fermented.

She is not a picky eater at all. She has never had any sugar/sweets/crackers/bread of any kind and doesn't have those cravings. She will eat digestive enzyme and vitamin C straight from a capsule and says "yummy." She asks for her probiotic. She seems to crave what she needs (things like chicken, egg yolks). So I have been listening to that but just very concerned about eating only eggs and yogurt.

Today she drank carrot juice on her own and some chopped chicken and I was excited about that but then she had a huge runny poo.
Gotcha I was just thinking that since you couldn't get her to take CO.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know... maybe I should sneak in the CO... see what happens...

I am trying to get the dr. to order a stool culture so i can see what is in there. I think the yeast is not so much an issue now, but maybe bacteria of some sort. From what I can read, small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) seems to be the best explanation for her fructose/fructan problem, which has just gotten steadily worse. She doesn't get loose stools from eating eggs/yogurt though. Only when I add in veggies. So this is what has me thinking about SIBO with the fructmal.

Yes, thank you, I've read through the detox puzzle and still not sure I have a grip on that but we are definitely helped by B12 so methylation is probably an issue. Epsom salts are helping, so magnesium/sulfate. I am trying to read through the MTHFR??? stuff too. I have so much to learn!

About the eggs... just worried because it's been almost two weeks now and she is eating close to a DOZEN a DAY. Rashes. Today she ate some chicken/meat/carrot though so maybe we're getting somewhere. Man, I hope this is just die off.

Commercial juice, but my juicer should be coming soon, yahoo!!!!

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure that too much protein is messing up all her cycles... 1 egg has 7g and recommended RDA is 16g daily ???!!! So with her dozen eggs (plus a few ounces of meat) she's getting, like 6 times the RDA. I really need to find a way to increase carbs and decrease proteins..... hoping the juicer will help us out of this mess!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.