Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zoe is nearly 2 months old now and I want to begin building up our Waldorf-inspired toys and such. I just got her a Keptin Jr. teething/rattle doll. What other things should I get over the next several months that would fit with her development? I found some wooden board books, puzzles, and wooden teethers and rattles. Are we too young for playsilks? Should I get her a pull toy? What is good for this stage and the ones soon to follow? Can we begin signing this early? I don't want to get too far ahead of her natural pace...Thanks!

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
From what my little 21 month old is enjoying now, and my experience with Michael and Katie Grace, I would say...
- wooden stacking bowls and wooden stackable rainbows (easy to manipulate and can be used for many things as she grows older). The bowls are especially nice because you can stack them and she can knock them down. The rainbow archs can be placed upside down and "rocked" which my babies all liked
- definitely play silks- little toddlers can dance with them, wrap babies in them, you can help them dress up with them. Babies love it when you wave them in front of them to catch. They are also fun to play peek-a-boo with and blow up in the air. YOu can play hide-and-seek with toys using silks, can wrap toys for baby to unwrap. Some WAHMS make nice hankie sized silks. These are fun to put in a tissue box or wipes container for Baby to pill out.
- pull toys are great, but push toys are even better because they can see the action without having to turn around and look. Obviously, this would be for when she;s older.
- we started signing at 6 months, so go for it. You just work it in to daily routines and one day she will surprise you by signing back!
- Radio Flyer makes a walker wagon with a handle that just rocks. We got one with my first, and all three kiddoes love it
- a nice basket with a handle. My kids love carrying it around, putting things in, taking them out. It helped that Grandma was a Longaberger consultant!

If you have the time and inclination I would suggest that you actually MAKE two things for her
1. a doll- there are lots of kits out there!

2. a book- Look for pictures in magazines of things like babies in slings, babies nursing. I put them on colored paper, then in page protectors and tied them together.

A couple other homemade ideas
-a felt ball, from pieces of felt sewn together and stuffed with wool. You could put some jingle bells in it to. NOT a felted ball, as she could pick off the pieces and choke

- a blanket with flannel on one side and silk on the other

- felt bean bags

- a ribbon blanket- just take an old flannel receiving blanket and sew ribbons of varying lengths hanging from one side (sort of like taggies but longer!) These are really fun when she's lying on her back to sweep over her for her to try to grab.

Hope this is helpful!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
I think puzzles don't generally work until a lot later. I'b be careful with play silks, keeping to smaller pieces that aren't long enough to accidentally get wrapped around and caught on something to cause strangulation. Babies can do the most unlikely things... And pull toy strings have been known to cause strangulation - so you need to keep such things put securely away when you're not playing right there with her. Anything you want to give a toddler should be scrutinized to think of every conceivable thing that could go wrong - if a beanbag came unsewn, for instance, the beans could be swalled. I don't think they need much at such an early age - the whole world is a toy
- but the idea of cloth balls and simple things that can be pushed, pulled, thrown, etc., sounds great. - Lillian

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
One way to make bean bags safe is to double bag the beans, either by using two layers of fabric or by encasing the beans in a plastic bag first.

When I made my list I figured it went without saying that one would be supervising one's child, but perhaps I needed to make that disclaimer.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Get her something that she can use to pull to a stand when she is ready to, and later push around to practice walking. Heck my 4yo still plays with the push toy! :LOL

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
Get her something that she can use to pull to a stand when she is ready to, and later push around to practice walking. Heck my 4yo still plays with the push toy! :LOL
That's what I loved about that walker wagon!

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
ds wasn't much into toys until around 4-5mo or so.

just to give you some ideas though, some favs past and present are;

an unbreakable mirror
playsilks! (you can get hanky sized ones or just use old silk scarves!)
felt balls
a wood bead maze! (he's played with this daily since around 7mo and now has a 2nd one as well)
wooden animal blocks
wooden car
block cart (push cart)
cloth/board books
knotted doll
push/pull toys (the ones we have, have VERY short cords)
shaker eggs

actually he plays with all of these toys daily (except the mirror which I would like to find a larger one eventually to hang in his playroom)

another thing ds really enjoyed, though not exactly waldorf, was a black and white mobile I made him (you can find super EASY directions at sleepingbaby.net) I had his hung over our bed and he would talk to that thing for months...we finally had to remove it when he started standing at 7mo and pull it down. I have it in his room (saving it for the new babe) and he still is so fascinated with it when he sees it. :LOL

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
For the mirror, I found an unbreakable locker mirror that was magnetized and kept it on the kitchen fridge. They loved that, too.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie
For the mirror, I found an unbreakable locker mirror that was magnetized and kept it on the kitchen fridge. They loved that, too.
Oh, my gosh! That just brought back the strangest memory - hadn't thought about it in years. When I was little, my mother had a photographer coming out to the house to take my picture, and she had done my hair in curls. I wanted to see how it looked, so I looked into a brass doorknob and saw the homeliest reflection - because the roundness distorted my face. Boy, was that depressing. <chuckle>Lillian

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
oh that's a great idea annettemarie! where did you find it though?
walmart

It was in my pre-Walmart-free days. I bet any place would have them around back-to-school time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts